Financial Reporting Accountant
Company: New York City Economic Development Corporation
Location: New York, NY
Job Function: Accounting
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
About Us: New York City Economic Development Corporation is a mission-driven, nonprofit organization that works for a vibrant, inclusive, and globally competitive economy for all New Yorkers. We take a comprehensive approach, through four main strategies: strengthen confidence in NYC as a great place to do business; grow innovative sectors, with a focus on equity; build neighborhoods as places to live, learn, work, and play; and deliver sustainable infrastructure for communities and the city’s future economy
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) defined contribution plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our Diversity, Equity, and Social Responsibility Mission is to create a People First strategy by attracting, retaining, and engaging a diverse and talented workforce. Like the city of New York, NYCEDC knows our strength comes from each of our connected parts, making the fabric of our organization better and stronger because of our unique employees’ talents.
To help build an inclusive workplace culture, NYCEDC supports six employee resource groups that strive to engage members and advocate for their respective communities within NYCEDC. Those groups are: Accessibility group, Elevation group (BIPOC), Mindful group, Out/EDC group (LGBTQAI+), Parents group and Women’s Leadership group. NYCEDC employees work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive team where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected, and have an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.
Reporting to the Deputy Controller, the Financial Reporting Accountant prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements for multiple NYCEDC affiliated entities. The Financial Reporting Accountant prepares and enters journal entries and prepares supporting schedules as needed. The Financial Reporting Accountant interacts with colleagues within the organization to understand transactions and ensure they are timely and accurately recorded. The Financial Reporting Accountant builds strong work relationships with colleagues to facilitate the transfer of information and documentation needed for financial reporting. The Financial Reporting Accountant responds to and facilitates various audit-related requests.
- Responsible for the accounting functions of NYCEDC affiliates and subsidiaries.
- Prepare monthly journal entries and account reconciliations
- Performs the monthly closing for assigned entities including analyzing accounting discrepancies and effectively communicating issues
- Prepare and maintain a comprehensive workpaper package to support balance sheet and income statement accounts
- Prepares monthly/quarterly/annual financial statements and monthly variance analysis
- Presents monthly financial results to the Board of Directors
- Communicates with project managers to ensure that transactions are timely and accurately recorded and reported
- Work cross-functionally within Finance and other departments including Legal and Compliance
- Understand abstracts, legal agreements, and other related written documentation
- Plays a key role in governance duties for designated entities, including PAAA compliance items
- Meet with internal and external auditors and provide requested support as necessary
- Preparation and/or review of tax related forms for assigned entities
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- 3-5 years of experience in Accounting
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Experience in financial statement preparation and reporting
- Strong foundational knowledge of US GAAP to ensure financial statements are fairly presented
- Self-starter with strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and professionally in communications and interactions with colleagues
- Ability to work independently in a fast-moving environment while effectively meeting deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively across different teams and functions
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Observes the ethical and confidential attributes commensurate to the profession
- New York City residency is required within 180 days of hire
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range: $90,000-93,000