Company: ProsperUs Detroit
Location: Detroit, MI
Job Function: Administrative/Operations/IT
ProsperUs Detroit is a community economic development initiative that supports entrepreneurs and small business development in neighborhoods throughout Detroit, Hamtramck, Highland Park, and Inkster. We are on a mission to advance economic equity in under-resourced communities by supporting entrepreneurs with opportunities and capital needed to build businesses, generational wealth, and vibrant neighborhoods. We do this by delivering radically supportive and culturally competent entrepreneurship training, financial coaching, technical assistance, and microlending. ProsperUs approaches this work with the belief that residents, small businesses, and community organizations in all neighborhoods can engage and revitalize their own communities.
As the executive assistant at ProsperUs Detroit, you will approach the work with an eagerness to support the leadership of a community development financial institution (CDFI) working in low- to moderate-income communities. Each day, you will collaborate with the executive director to advance the executive and administrative functions of the organization. Working closely with the executive director, you will identify solutions to bolster relationships with the team, manage organizational finances, and connect with the board of directors consistent with the organization’s mission. You are great at building relationships one-on-one, advocating for others, and writing concise communications. We are excited to welcome team members who are focused on intersectional equity in the context of entrepreneurship in Detroit, Hamtramck, Highland Park, and Inkster.
Core Job Responsibilities
- Executive Administration
- You will plan and organize meetings, activities, and events for the executive director to ensure efficient time use and alignment with strategic priorities. This includes monitoring the organizational schedule and responding accurately to changes based on demand;
- You will develop travel plans and manage expense report tracking and reimbursement processing for leadership;
- You will monitor pending projects for follow-up and identify potential issues requiring escalation;
- You will maintain organizational files and documents as needed by organizational leadership; and
- You will maintain strict confidentiality, demonstrating leadership, credibility and trust across all levels of the organization.
- You will manage general inquiries to the organization’s email and phone system including answering incoming communications, responding to inquiries, directing inquiries as appropriate, and taking and giving accurate messages;
- You will greet and direct visitors as appropriate based on the purpose of their visit;
- You will support the upkeep of office supplies and the organization of the office suite in general;
- You will collaborate with the team on logistical and administrative needs for specific projects.
- Board Relations
- You will prepare for Board of Directors meetings by creating and distributing agendas and presentations under the direction of the executive director;
- You will be responsible for recording and sharing meeting minutes, and other documents as needed; and
- You will maintain efficient and collaborative communications with board members under the direction of the executive director.
- Financial Management
- You will develop and maintain processes for internal and external financial management in partnership with leadership and the controller; and
- You will perform basic bookkeeping tasks in collaboration with the controller, including making deposits, invoicing, facilitating financial report requests, and assisting with internal needs for the annual audit, etc.
- Some other activities you will do to support ProsperUs:
- Represent ProsperUs within the regional entrepreneurship ecosystem and in various networks locally and nationally, as required;
- Continue enhancing knowledge and expertise in equitable entrepreneurship, community economic development, and race equity;
- Assist with special projects as assigned and other tasks deemed necessary to achieve overall goals and to operate a successful program; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
While demonstrating high energy and passion for ProsperUs’ work, including our clients, partners, mission, and values, you are also able to do or know the following:
- You understand how to effectively and efficiently support an executive director of a growing nonprofit organization.
- You are interested in working with technology systems and you can learn and use new software and tools as required. Experience with Salesforce is a plus, and training will be provided.
- You have a personal and professional commitment to intersectional equity, including the dismantling of racism and other forms of oppression that exist in the communities ProsperUs serves, specifically Black, Latinx, Arab, immigrant, and low- to moderate-income communities.
- You have a proven history of transparent and high-integrity servant leadership.
- You can manage timelines and understand how to communicate your needs to others including team members, partners, and other stakeholders.
- You want to find a solution. You can demonstrate proactive, entrepreneurial approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability.
- You are self-motivated and able to work independently, but you also have practice working with internal or external teams and appreciate collaboration.
- You must be excited about finding solutions to challenges or barriers faced by those we serve.
ProsperUs is looking for candidates who have the following qualities and experiences:
- At least two years of proven experience supporting senior/C-suite executive(s)—nonprofit organization experience is preferred. Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Very strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including board members, external partners, and donors.
- Strong technical skills with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and Adobe Acrobat (or comparable tools), operating systems, and networks.
- Flexibility in days and hours available for scheduled work, including regular evening engagements and occasional weekend commitments.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English. The ability to communicate in Spanish, Arabic, French, or Bangla is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
Pay and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $45,000 to $55,000; in addition, we offer these supports to help you manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Holidays: You will have 11 nationally recognized holidays, an additional floating holiday to be used when you choose, and more time to rest around the winter holidays.
- Paid Time Off: When you join, you will have 15 days of paid time off (PTO) that you can use 90 days after joining the team.
- Benefits Plans: You can choose to join the organization’s benefits plan with health insurance (most paid by the organization), org-paid vision, and org-paid dental.
- Retirement Savings: You can invest in the org-sponsored 401(k) and ProsperUs will match a portion of your contributions.
- Parental Leave: You will have access to parental leave for giving birth, adoption, fostering, and supporting a partner who is giving birth.
- Family-Friendly: ProsperUs is a family-friendly work environment with accommodations for nursing parents, respect for childcare needs and practices, parental leave, and other supports.
- Continuous Learning: We care about your success. You will create professional development goals to collaborate on with your supervisor, and we regularly check in about how it’s going with Quarterly Conversations focused on goals and values.
- Flexible Schedule: Team members must be available 9 AM – 3 PM Eastern Time. We participate in a variety of events and collaborations, so we encourage team members to work additional hours with a schedule that works for them.
- Flexible Work Environment: We encourage hybrid home / office work. Team members primarily work in-person, with two remote workdays allowed per week. In-person events and engagements are a regular responsibility of all roles at ProsperUs.
How to Apply