Company: Capital Impact Partners
Locations: San Francisco, CA; San Diego, CA; Los Angeles, CA
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
Capital Impact Partners is now part of the Momentus Capital Family of Organizations which includes Capital Impact Partners, CDC Small Business Finance and Ventures Lending Technologies. Together, we work to ensure local leaders and communities have equitable access to the capital & opportunities they deserve. With a mission rooted in social impact, we support locally led solutions through our continuum of lending, impact investments, training programs, & technology programs. By joining our team, you will play a key role in how Momentus Capital is transforming the financial sector to help communities build health & generational wealth.
For Capital Impact specifically, we finance a broad range of facilities that deliver social impact including community health centers, public charter schools, healthy food systems, affordable housing development, and dignified aging facilities.
We’re headquartered in Arlington, VA, but have teams embedded in large urban areas and cities in California, Michigan, the New York Tri-State Area, Texas, and the Washington metro area.
Ultimately, our success isn’t just measured by the loans we close, but through the social impact these projects have in the communities they serve.
The Director of Western Region Lending is responsible for managing loan production and implementing lending initiatives in their particular region. This role is responsible for successfully leading Capital Impact’s business development strategies for the region to address market needs and achieve business goals. It is critical in ensuring that Capital Impact efficiently and effectively meets the financing needs of our customers and maximizes business opportunities for all the region’s loan products and programs. This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Community Development Lending (“SVP”) and will work collaboratively with the Head of Credit. The Director of the Western Region will represent Capital Impact both with internal and external clients and will strengthen our presence and footprint. A successful candidate will have a history of demonstrated success in lending and be an experienced professional with a strategic mindset, strong analytical, problem solving, leadership, communication, and management skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Business Development and Loan Origination:
- Responsible for components of Capital Impact’s loan origination and capital deployment to meet Capital Deployment goals and objectives.
- Collaborating and coordinating across the capital deployment team to bring the full Momentus continuum of capital to our borrowers, clients and partners.
- Identify lending opportunities and oversee response to all loan inquiries in Capital Impact’s target market in the Western Region.
- Member of Screening Committee, responsible for screening all new transactions in Western Region for fit regarding target market, strategy, impact and resource capacity.
- Identify, manage, and grow strategic relationships with key local partners (developers, consultants, public sector representatives, etc.) that build Capital Impact’s brand and market presence, and help facilitate those partnerships and relationships.
- Maintain strong working relationships with borrowers, peer CDFIs, as well as affordable housing professionals and practitioners.
- Work closely with the SVP, Director, National Lending Initiatives, originations team to employ lending innovation, including new strategies/tactics for expanding lending relationships with particularly with local community health centers, public charter schools, healthy food systems, affordable housing development, and dignified aging facilities.
- Collaborate with SVP on key priorities for the team such as developing new financing products, new lending strategies and research and development (R&D)
- Identify process and system improvements as they relate to all aspects of the originations function.
- Represent Capital Impact in a variety of industry groups and forums, including coordination and participation in conferences, delivering presentations and trainings to staff and external audiences.
- Lead and coordinate marketing and communication efforts for business development purposes
- Structure, underwrite and close complex transactions as needed with the support of underwriting staff.
Management of Lending Team and Lending Programs:
- Manage and mentor origination staff through business development, loan structuring, underwriting, and closing process, including participation in site visits and relationship calls.
- Engage in talent acquisition, development, and retention of staff, and cultivate a mission-focused environment of creativity, innovation, agility, and equitable opportunity.
- Provide leadership to the team through communication, performance management, coaching, staff development and recognition.
- Assign staff to serve as resident experts on each impact area to ensure we are meeting both deployment goals and impact goals.
- Ensure the team meets all data integrity requirements for Capital Impact systems.
- Effectively collaborate with Portfolio Management and Loan Administration on deal closings; negotiation of deal terms and legal documents; identify and resolving structuring issues; and engaging with external legal counsel to ensure excellence in execution on deal structuring, and all loan closings.
- Serve as regional lead with regional capital partners and facilitate regional loan pipeline meetings.
- Develop and manage funding availability and underwriting process.
- Responsible for management of pipeline, parameters and processes for regional lending initiatives.
- Maintain strong, positive, effective, and productive relationships with key partners.
- Collaborate closely with portfolio management, loan administration, marketing and communications, and other departments to meet departmental and organizational needs.
- Effectively collaborate with Capital Impact’s senior leadership team on internal and external matters concerning western region staff and programs.
- Undergraduate degree required, advanced degree in business, finance, or related field preferred.
- 7+ years of community development or affordable housing lending experience, including 5+ years of supervisory experience.
- Outstanding people management and team leadership skills, with experience recruiting, nurturing, and motivating talent.
- Demonstrated success in developing/training, managing and mentoring staff
- Expert knowledge of loan structuring and high level of competency in negotiation and sales presentation skills
- Highly organized, ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and assignments, meet tight deadlines, and mitigate risk.
- Strong business development, analytical, communication, and problem-solving skills, with working knowledge of spreadsheet programs
- Familiarity with federal, state, and local community development programs, particularly program that finance affordable housing, healthcare and
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Gmail suite of products, file management software (Eqnyte), and CRM software (Salesforce)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to coordinate and communicate effectively across all levels of an organization.
- Open attitude, self-awareness, awareness of others, cultural knowledge (particularly in regions this role is serving) and cultural skills.
- Embrace a work culture that celebrates creativity and innovation.
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to changing demands while continually delivering high performance.
- Ability to travel up to 40% of the time and work flexible hours as required
Compensation and Benefits
Base salary + annual performance incentive. Medical/dental/vision package options
How to Apply
Please apply directly on our careers site – https://www.capitalimpact.org/careers/