Company: Community Vision Capital
Location: San Francisco, CA
Job Function: Marketing/PR
WHO WE ARE
Communities on the margins of opportunity deserve a trusted partner on their journey towards financial growth and stability. As a locally invested, collaborative partner in social justice and financial equity, Community Vision provides nonprofits, small businesses, and social enterprises with strategic investment and guidance, to deepen work, scale impact, and strengthen our communities.
We know that supporting community-owned and community-governed projects creates shared prosperity and builds collective, and self-directed, economic and political power. This position will put you at the forefront of exciting organizational growth and the re-envisioning of how we carry out our work; creating greater efficiency internally and deeper impact externally.
Community Vision is dedicated to anti-racist practices and to building an anti-racist organization. This includes treating colleagues with respect, supporting the vision of the organization, and acting as ambassadors of our values.
Community Vision’s Real Estate Solutions department delivers innovative community commercial real estate technical assistance programs and provides expert advising and training in the development process and related financial management, ensuring communities are anchored with the programs and services they need.
The Director of Real Estate Solutions oversees our consulting services and programs that build racial and economic equity in communities throughout Northern California. The position works with a diverse team of experts to ensure strategic impact through development and implementation of the department’s strategy and goals. In addition, this role supports the team as a subject matter expert, providing support and guidance to consultants, and regularly presenting at CV’s workshops and other public forums. The position is responsible for building CV’s reputation as a trusted advisor, cultivating and maintaining a diverse set of external funding relationships and community partnerships, and working across departments with CV’s staff.
The Director leads a team of high-performing professionals, including real estate consultants, financial management consultants, and program analysts. This position requires a collaborative leadership style, the ability to guide an active and engaged team, a commitment to promoting professional development and leadership opportunities, and the ability to work effectively in partnership across departments/with CV’s broader staff. This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Programs.
Drive Strategic Impact
- Lead the development and implementation of the department’s strategic and annual work plans as well as manage annual department impact and activity goals in alignment with the organization’s overall strategic plan and priorities.
- In partnership with internal and external stakeholders, drive the development and implementation of new initiatives and/or program offerings, based on observed client needs, department strategy, expertise, mission alignment, and financial feasibility.
- Develop and implement appropriate impact metrics and measurement systems in partnership with the SVP of Programs and CV’s Impact staff. Ensure the department is collecting all agreed upon data in a thorough and timely fashion.
- Evaluate department offerings and make modifications as appropriate, based on CV’s strategic plan, impact analysis, available funding, and external opportunities.
- Act as a subject matter expert to build CV’s reputation as a trusted advisor and thought leader, by participating in conferences, panels and other public speaking opportunities, and developing written materials such as blog posts and white papers.
- Conduct ongoing best practices research to strengthen department offerings and impact.
Cultivate Mission-Aligned Clients, Funding and Partnerships
- In partnership with consulting department staff and CV’s External Relations and business development staff, lead the development of CV’s marketing efforts for consulting services to develop new clients, engagements, and funding opportunities.
- In partnership with CV’s resource development staff, identify, cultivate and secure mission-aligned funding to support CV’s advising and training programs.
- Create internal and external partnerships with aligned organizations to amplify CV’s service delivery and impact.
- Oversee all program delivery, ensuring CV provides quality consulting services and meets all of its contracted deliverables and reporting requirements
Department Leadership and Management
- Ensure program deliverables are met as committed to with third party funders. Prepare and deliver funder reports to both government and philanthropic partners.
- Supervise staff
- Develop and/or approve annual performance objectives and work plans for all department staff, in conformance with CV’s strategic priorities. Provide regular, actionable feedback to staff members. Complete formal staff reviews based on CV’s established procedures to ensure staff success and accountability.
- Cultivate opportunities for staff personal and professional development; ensure all staff have annual professional development goals and opportunities.
- Actively develop and support positive staff morale and team identity.
- Manage department hiring as needed, ensuring all activities conform with CV’s established processes and priorities of diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Develop and manage annual department budgets that are financially sustainable through a combination of fee-for-service, third party payers, and general operating support.
- Extensive (7+ years) experience in community real estate development or analysis, economic or community development, nonprofit consulting, or construction management
- Priory experience fundraising for programs as well as program development
- Experience cultivating and maintaining a diverse set of relationships, with preference for experience working with nonprofits, philanthropy and government agencies
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of real estate development principles, practices, and terminology. Having fully developed projects in the past is a plus
- Understanding of community real estate financing including NMTCs and HTCs
- Experience or expertise on issues of racial and economic equity and the intersection of social justice and community economic development is highly preferred
- Dedication to a collaborative approach and management with respect for others concerns
- Leadership, supervisory, planning and change management skills and experience
- An entrepreneurial spirit that puts clients and communities first
- Exhibit resilience, problem-solving solutions, and results-driven capabilities
- Strong writing, speaking, and presentation skills
- Experience living, working, or organizing in the communities we serve – especially areas outside of the Bay Area; Central Valley knowledge is especially desirable.
Compensation and Benefits
The Director of Real Estate Solutions is a full-time non-exempt position. This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Programs. The salary for this position is between $123,000 – $145,000 annually, depending on experience. Benefits include: 100% health insurance premium coverage for employees and a contribution towards dependent coverage, dental insurance, long-term disability and life insurance, transportation and cell phone subsidies, employer contributions towards retirement savings, three weeks’ vacation, and a commitment to work/life balance. Occasional evenings and out of area travel may be necessary. The position involves regular computer and telephone use plus some minimal lifting. The position can be based at either of Community Vision’s offices in San Francisco or Oakland. We are working in a hybrid environment.
How to Apply
Send resume and cover letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Subject line should read: Director of Real Estate Solutions. Cover letters should discuss your interest in the position and in working at Community Vision. Position will remain open until filled. For more information on our programs and services, please visit our website at: communityvisionca.org.