Company: Pacific Community Venture
Location: Oakland, CA
Job Function: Marketing/PR
Position type: Full-time; Oakland, CA
Reports to: CEO
Salary: $100,000-$120,000 based on experience and geographic location
Are you a driven individual who is passionate about building a more equitable society? If so, please join Pacific Community Ventures, a nonprofit mission-driven organization invested in addressing racial and gender wealth gaps. We are seeking a Director of Marketing and Communications to join our team and lead PCV’s storytelling, brand, and community engagement. Over the past decade, our research projects and client engagements have helped define and build the field of impact investing; we have become a leading statewide community development financial institution (CDFI) in California; and scaled a nationwide mentorship platform for underinvested small business owners. Our audiences and clients include small business owners across America, volunteer business experts; leading foundations and impact investors; other CDFIs; and policymakers at the state and local level.
Who We Are
PCV is a 24-year-old nonprofit CDFI that supports small business entrepreneurs and their communities in the fight for economic, racial, and gender justice. We work side-by-side with small business leaders through our unique integrated model: combining impact-first Restorative Capital and Pro Bono Business Advising with our Good Jobs Innovation Lab that propels thriving communities with equitable jobs, and uplifts and amplifies their voices and needs through research and policy advocacy.
Why You’re Needed
PCV has recently launched our new strategy centering restorative capital, driven by themes of decolonizing wealth, democratizing access, and being restorative. You will play an integral role in embodying this strategy and vision across all we do, and who we are to our stakeholders – in the storytelling of our small business owners as local changemakers in their communities, and the local and national community organizations we partner with to serve them. You’ll bring creativity, strong project management, strategic thinking, people and communication skills (oral and written), and most of all – a passion and lived experience in racial, and economic justice, inclusive entrepreneurship. You’re willing to learn on the job – often fast-paced, dynamic; always with integrity.
Own PCV’s new strategy launch, brand evolution, and ensuring that PCV continues to build trust in the communities we serve via robust and authentic storytelling
- Work with PCV’s brand consultants to implement a total refresh PCV’s brand story around our integrated model and anti-oppression work. This includes establishing updated brand messages, an official PCV brand style guide with visual and written guidelines by audience/department/medium, building and launching a new website, and updating all of PCV’s sales sheets, pitch decks, and other collateral
- Own the strategy and testing of new approaches and outreach campaigns to reach community partners and small business owners in target lending neighborhoods, cities, and counties
- Own the strategy and testing of new digital channels, partnerships, and content marketing campaigns to drive a more sustainable pipeline of marketing, finance, and good jobs advisors
- Own the strategy and testing of new approaches around enterprise sales to create leads for new corporate partnerships
- Own the strategy and testing of new approaches (with our Innovation Lab) to better segment customers, create more customized good jobs journeys and content, and target clients identified as most ready to work on job quality
- Own the creation of a success story repository and content calendar inclusive of everything, with a focus on clients that combine all aspects of our work (Lending + Advising + Good Jobs Innovation Lab)
- Own PCV’s content calendar, including overseeing social media, email marketing, a monthly cadence of small business owner, volunteer, and partner success stories, as well as PR and thought leadership opportunities (including drafting and securing the publishing of quarterly articles and op-eds)
- Test messaging, tactics, and outreach around advisor recruitment, place-based lending, good jobs and trust-building with BIPOC business owners, justice-impacted entrepreneurs, and other key audiences to establish best practices for future years
Center the voices of those PCV serves, in their own words and on their terms, to create more impactful products, programs, and services, and better promote PCV to funders and partners.
- Own the strategy for centering small business entrepreneur voices in proposals by interviewing more PCV clients year-round, leveraging asset framing language and entrepreneur quotes to explain the need we meet, what we do, and our impact.
- Tell diverse and inclusive stories using a wider variety of media, including: Semi-frequent videos of us talking with business owners about how they got where they got, advice, the value-add of PCV’s support, etc; Social media takeovers by clients and partners; and Building stronger cross promotional partnerships to amplify our resources on social media and other mediums
- Organize quarterly listening sessions and occasional in-person community events with PCV clients and community partners, with team member support.
- Create continuous feedback loops with PCV’s clients and our program teams (i.e. good jobs lab, returning residents fund, place-based lending, etc) through A/B testing, customer journey mapping and segmentation modeling.Own the marketing funnel for: PCV’s Small Business Lending team (driving $15 million in new loans annually with a focus on 85% BIPOC and/or women-identifying business owners); and Small Business Advising (driving at least 500 new volunteer business advisors annually to serve 3,000 business owners), with a focus on building and expanding the membership of the Small Business Support Circle through targeted enterprise-level lead generation toward CSR and employee engagement decision makers at corporate partners.
- Create and execute long-term digital and content marketing strategies aimed at demand generation for the top of PCV’s loan applicant and volunteer recruitment funnels
- Manage the budget and strategy for PCV’s digital ad campaigns driving loan and volunteer leads (Google text and display ads, Facebook and LinkedIn advertising, VolunteerMatch, Idealist, etc)
- Partner with Lending and Advising to tighten the messaging and experience of Lending and Advising clients to create more “stickiness” with our program by creating drip email campaigns, continuous content based on PCV solutions and framed to what business owners want, and developing Spanish language resources, ads, and landing pages;
- Create a plan for a Bay Area-based community engagement program supplemented with direct mail, targeted social media ads, etc, to become a permanent feature of PCV’s marketing for 2023 and beyond
- Support overall business development and PCV’s Good Jobs Innovation Lab through fundraising, digital communications, organizational storytelling, and market research.
Partner with CEO and Development to increase and strengthen PCV’s business development pipeline in conjunction with PCV-wide fundraising goals
- Thought partnership with CEO to draft Op-eds, newsletters in her voice
- Own PCV’s Annual Impact Report publication and writing, working with designers and internal analytics and program teams for content generation.
- Help PCV teams build communications channels with targeted Oakland & California organizations (microlenders, accelerators, community-based nonprofits) that together create the “continuum of capital” we want to see for underestimated entrepreneurs.
- Attend and/or pitch and showcase PCV at partner events as needed
- Oversee Development team in ensuring the development of a regular funding recognition systems, leverage Salesforce across teams for business development tracking, and in co-creating narratives for grant proposals designed to increase unrestricted funding awarded to PCV
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
We strive hard to be a diverse and inclusive place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas, and different ways of working. You will bring a background of working with dynamic teams and projects, as well as excellent analytical and communications skills that you are eager to apply to complex social problems. You should demonstrate a deep commitment to creating social and environmental benefit, under-invested people and places. You should be enthusiastic, flexible, and excited to join a passionate team.
- 8+ years of relevant professional experience leading a marketing or communications function, including annual strategy and budget
- Proven track record of demand/lead generation, digital marketing, branding, and/or content marketing
- A talent for big-picture thinking and managing all of the moving parts of a cross-functional marketing, communications, and development group at a growing organization
- Experience managing a team preferred
- Demonstrated experience developing campaigns for social media, email marketing, and thought leadership/content creation
- Help build and promote organizational culture at all levels
- Prior experience with, or interest in, entrepreneurship and small business a plus (but not required)
- Prior experience with PR, earned media, or pitching and publishing thought leadership articles a plus (but not required)
- Prior experience with a mix of Google Analytics, Google AdWords, Canva, WordPress, Hootsuite (or other social media tools), and Campaign Monitor (or other email marketing tools) a plus
- Flexibility and comfort with a mission-driven anti-racist environment, and a small and growing organization
- Fast learner, who demonstrates humility, openness, transparency, and empathy as consistent with PCV values
- Bilingual skills (especially in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin) highly desirable
This position will be based at our headquarters in Oakland long-term, due to the coordination aspects of this role. However, during the COVID-19 pandemic this role will be mostly remote, with regular office check-ins to support team operations. The role may involve occasional travel to other locations in California and around the United States in the future, as well as visits with small business owners and community partners around our key geographies.
PCV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We live our values of openness, transparency, coming from a place of yes, collaboration, and more; and believe that justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental to our success. We are especially interested in candidates who have direct experience with the communities we serve.
Compensation and Benefits
How to Apply
Interested candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States. They should send a résumé and cover letter via e-mail to email@example.com with the words “Director of Marketing and Communications” in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Apply now.