Company: Colorado Enterprise Fund
Location: Denver, CO
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
Who We Are:
Colorado Enterprise Fund (CEF) is a nonprofit business lending organization dedicated to the success of small businesses in Colorado. We target our financing resources to underserved communities – primarily Black, Latino, women, and veteran owned businesses, especially those located in low to moderate income areas. We’re committed to creating meaningful impact in Colorado’s communities by providing equitable and affordable business financing for entrepreneurs who cannot access bank loans and other financial resources.
At CEF we see our community impact through job creation, wealth building for disadvantaged populations, and the growth and success of the businesses we fund. As a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), we offer loans, grants, and free business coaching to entrepreneurs to help them succeed. Learn more about our mission and team at https://coloradoenterprisefund.org/careers
Who We Are Looking For:
The Director of Credit will lead our CEF underwriting and asset quality team. We are looking for a candidate who has leadership skills and prior experience guiding employees through change. The Director of Credit will play a central role in the growth and expansion of CEF’s underwriting and credit function. They will provide structure, management and mentorship to underwriters and other members of our credit team. The Director of Credit will partner internally to support meeting budgeted goals, contribute to process improvements, develop networks, and help ensure CEF’s financing is aligned with its mission and strategy. This role will be critical in Compliance and Portfolio management through ongoing portfolio analysis while ensuring our lending products align with our mission to support underserved Colorado Small Businesses.
- Manage loan underwriting and asset quality team
- Mentor, coach and manage a team of two Underwriters, a Senior Credit Analyst and an Asset Quality manager, making risk-based decisions to reduce bad debt and fraud
- Provide guidance to underwriting team regarding credit approvals
- Conduct quarterly reviews of portfolio for risk assessment and performance
- Ongoing reporting to senior leadership team regarding business performance and department opportunities and risks
- Manage the setting of interest rates and other relevant fees for CEF’s loan products based on current market factors on a quarterly basis
- Assist in individual loan and portfolio compliance reporting
- Work closely with the Director of Development and the Director of Lending in loan product and program creation
- For larger loans (>$250,000) conduct and prepare initial analysis of loan viability, structure and negotiate loan terms that reflect the needs of clients, and issue term sheets for partner organizations
- Underwrite financings with varying degrees of complexity, including loans with multiple lenders, and present to credit committee(s) for approval
- Maintain oversight of current CEF policies for managing current legal collection and workouts of delinquent small business loans, recommending solutions, and implementing improvements on an ongoing basis
- Bachelor’s Degree required, primarily in Business, Accounting, Finance, Economics, or other similar areas. Related coursework in these areas will be considered.
- You have a minimum of ten years of professional work experience in commercial or small business lending and are proficient in credit analysis and loan structuring.
- Previous leadership experience tangible results motivating and developing direct reports.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong analytical skills and ability to present complex analytics in an accessible manner
- Talent for problem-solving with the capability to spot challenges and provide solutions
- Maintain a high level of integrity and can handle sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Flexible, adaptable, and willing to pivot on short notice to meet the organization’s needs
- Commitment to continuous improvement and demonstrate a growth mindset
- Proactive communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
- Passion for collaboration with team members who are working together to re-envision the Community Development Finance Industry
- Prolonged periods of siting at a desk and working on a computer
- Ability to travel to main CEF offices for regular meetings and training events for staff
- Internet services to ensure work responsibilities can be fully met (CEF provides basic equipment)
- Fast paced environment with ability to adjust with shifting priories as needed to meet the needs of our customer base
Compensation and Benefits
What We Offer:
- Best People– One of our goals is to bring together high integrity people from their respective area of expertise and assemble them as a team to drive success across the board. That starts with being highly selective in our hiring process and supporting the culture required to ensure that success.
- Dynamic Working Environment – It’s not quiet here. You won’t notice the hours flying by. We believe in our mission to accelerate community prosperity. We do that by being active not passive.
- Established Brand and Solid Track Record – We’ve been around, so you’ll have a team behind you delivering the financing solutions that you work with, that has repeatedly and successfully “been there and done that”.
- Personal Growth– Regardless of your experience level or your seniority walking in the door, we are committed to the growth of our people. Great leadership, support and education for you in your role, with the ability to personally grow your influence and your position.
- Right-Sized Company – We are a large enough organization to have sufficient resources to make a difference, but small enough to be nimble.
- Make an Impact in your community – You are a key factor in helping Colorado small business owners realize their dreams. It’s an awesome feeling to talk with others about having made an impact to businesses in your local area, to be able to say, “I was a part of that”.
- Benefits, Vacation, Etc.– As an established CDFI, we offer the following:
- Health, vision, dental and life insurance, as well as short-term disability coverage. CEF also offers a 403b retirement plan with employer matching up to 3% of an employee’s contribution. CEF also offers a Flexible Spending Account for childcare and health care. Our paid time off policies include ten (10) paid holidays per year, paid vacation, and paid health and wellness time.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Colorado Enterprise Fund is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We encourage anyone,
regardless of race (including traits historically associated with race, such as hair texture and length,
protective hairstyles), age 40 and over, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability,
military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, or any
other status protected by applicable state or local law to apply.
How to Apply
If you are ready to take the next step, please apply online at https://coloradoenterprisefund.org/careers