Director of Capital Development
Company: Massachusetts Housing Investment Corporation
Location: Boston, MA
Job Function: Relationship Management
MHIC is an innovative financier of affordable housing and community development throughout New England, providing financing that would not otherwise be available to neighborhoods most in need. For over 32 years, MHIC has invested more than $3.2 billion to help create and sustain healthy, equitable communities where people, businesses, and organizations can thrive. Supported by an experienced and dedicated staff, MHIC excels in problem solving, with rigorous underwriting, attentive asset management, and timely reporting to investors. To date, MHIC has financed 658 developments, representing more than 25,500 homes and 6.9 million sq. ft. of community and commercial space. Visit www.mhic.com or LinkedIn and Twitter for more information.
Massachusetts Housing Investment Corporation (MHIC) seeks a skilled and motivated professional to join our team as Director of Capital Development. The Director of Capital Development is responsible for identifying and securing institutional capital for the company’s multi-investor and proprietary fund offerings. The role manages all aspects of investor relations regarding the company’s low-income housing tax credit (LIHTC), New Markets Tax Credit (NMTC) and Healthy Neighborhoods Equity Fund (HNEF) equity platforms and lending programs. The role also includes developing strategies and materials to market MHIC to potential investors, identifying and closing investors into MHIC Funds, arranging necessary bridge financing for MHIC’s investment programs, and maintaining positive investor relationships. The Director of Capital Development manages two staff members (the Deputy Director of Capital Development and the Senior Investment Portfolio Officer) and is a member of the senior staff at MHIC, reporting to the President and CEO and accountable to the Board of Directors and relevant board committees.
Our ideal candidate will be:
- A thoughtful and thorough communicator who is passionate about and able to discuss MHIC products and services with a variety of investors.
- A driven and entrepreneurial team player who can communicate effectively in multiple venues.
- Flexible and enjoys collaborating with internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Manage the organization, marketing and closing of LIHTC multi-investor funds, single investor funds, and direct investments.
- Manage the organization, marketing and closing of HNEF multi-investor funds.
- Manage the organization, marketing and closing of MHIC, LLC loan pool investors.
- Manage investor relations, including identifying potential new investors, establishing relationships, and ascertaining potential for new investments, projects and programs.
- Monitor competitive position in LIHTC and NMTC marketplaces with respect to business terms, pricing decisions, and investor appetite to assist underwriters in preparing competitive proposals.
- Work closely with investment and portfolio management staff to monitor progress against goals and provide progress reports.
- Develop marketing plans; participate in all aspects of business development.
- Attend all Board meetings; prepare materials and report on investor relations and business development.
- Pursue appropriate avenues to raise MHIC’s profile among potential investors. Represent MHIC at relevant trade associations, interest groups, and public events (such as ground breakings, openings, etc.)
- Manage Capital Development team.
- Support investment, financial, and asset management staff in performance of their jobs.
- Participate in workouts of troubled investments and partnerships. Participate in public policy initiatives related to community development.
- Serve as an ambassador and expand MHIC’s involvement in industry initiatives.
- Contribute to company-wide policy and product development.
- Assist the President/CEO as required in other corporate initiatives.
Desired Experience and Qualifications:
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively in person and in writing with colleagues and external partners representing a wide range of disciplines and backgrounds
- Demonstrated expertise in real estate tax credit syndication products and affordable housing financing.
- Demonstrated track record of success with institutional fundraising.
- Familiarity with social impact investing and Opportunity Zone regulations, a plus.
- Understanding of the Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) is strongly preferred.
- Ability to manage and effectively prioritize simultaneous and competing activities and demands.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, planning or related field; with a Master’s degree preferred. Additional work experience can substitute for degrees.
- Excellent grasp of computer skills associated with the community development industry.
Compensation and Benefits
MHIC offers a professional, supportive working environment with competitive salary, health and retirement benefits, plus educational and training opportunities.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, detailing your qualifications for this position, along with a resume to: Ollie Fleet, Specialty Consultants Inc., at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please!