Company: Pacific Community Ventures
Location: Oakland, CA
Job Function: Research and Analytics
Non Profit CDFI
Position type: Full-time; Oakland, CA (Hybrid/remote) (in office 1x/month)
Reports to: Chief Impact Officer
Supervision: Yes, (Associate Director of Impact, Lab Analyst, Data Analytic Manager, and Lab Data Analyst)
Salary: $100,000-$120,000 based on experience
Pacific Community Venture’s leading-edge Good Jobs Innovation Lab is seeking a dynamic and innovative Director of Applied Research to execute an ambitious multi-stakeholder research agenda, and to amplify the superpowers and capabilities of our growing team.
PCV’s integrated business model not only provides funding solutions to entrepreneurs of color but supports their financial wellbeing through pre- and post-engagement volunteer mentoring. Our commitment to a culture of innovation is punctuated by the launch of our Good Jobs Innovation Lab – designed to surface innovations to support our programs and serve as a thought leader to many CDFIs and community practitioners optimizing impact in underestimated communities. Key audiences for our work include small business owners across America, volunteer business experts; corporate partners; leading foundations and impact investors; other CDFIs; and policymakers at the state and local level.
Who We Are
Pacific Community Ventures, PCV, a nonprofit, mission-driven community development lender (CDFI) addressing racial and gender wealth gaps through the power of a Good Job. For the last 25 years PCV has supported small business entrepreneurs and their communities in the fight for economic, racial, and gender justice. We work side-by-side with small business leaders through our unique integrated model: combining impact-first Restorative Capital and Pro Bono Business Advising with our Good Jobs Innovation Lab that propels thriving communities with equitable jobs, and uplifts and amplifies their voices and needs through research and policy advocacy. In 2022, 92% of PCV’s loan capital supported women and/or BIPOC-owned businesses, and 98% supported small businesses located in economically distressed areas.
- Position PCV’s Good Jobs Innovation Lab team to execute our 5 pillar Research Agenda for investing in entrepreneurs of color and low-income/persistent poverty communities for poverty alleviation through the power of a good quality job with dignity.
- Working closely and collaboratively with the Chief Impact Officer, build the Lab team’s capacity to conduct leading edge quantitative and qualitative research, and to tell compelling data driven stories empowering stakeholders to take meaningful action supporting systems change.
- Employ an array of research design methods to surface insights from PCV’s portfolio and external data resources, coupled with participatory research models to ground insights in community voice and lived experience.
- Confidently support the data analytics team in adopting leading edge technology solutions to improve business intelligence optimization and client outcomes.
- Build research project procedures and documentation to support project management to outcomes across the portfolio – establishing processes, feedback loops for content review and publication.
- Cultivate and speak with donors, policymakers, and ecosystem partners – primarily other CDFIs and community organizations – to support the Lab’s financial health and continuity.
- Anchor multi-year funder engagements project managing to define deliverables and maintaining accountability for quality of work products and impact reporting.
- Represent the PCV Good Jobs Innovation Lab and network in community development collaboratives and working groups – and sense opportunities to highlight PCV’s research to drive impact outcomes in alignment with our Theory of Change.
- Coach and manage the team to cultivate their voice as thoughtful leaders – amplifying team voices and supporting network engagement.
We strive hard to be a diverse and inclusive place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas, and different ways of working. You will bring a background in working with dynamic teams and projects, as well as excellent analytical and communications skills that you are eager to apply to complex social problems. You should demonstrate a deep commitment to creating social and environmental benefit, under-invested people, and places. You should be enthusiastic, flexible, and excited to join a passionate team.
- Eight (8)+ years of relevant professional experience leading applied research – with a demonstrated portfolio of knowledge products with measurable impact.
- Depth and breadth in research design and applied research methodologies both quantitative and qualitative – with an emphasis on mixed methods incorporating participatory research and data analytics.
- Strong understanding of the mechanics of modern cloud-based data infrastructure (PCV deploys a tech stack of Snowflake, AWS, Matillion, and Tableau) – and ability to effectively and credibly coach tech-savvy staff through digital transformations, new product development and compelling visualization.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, as well as cultural competency working inclusively in underestimated communities.
- Proven track record leading inclusive research teams and supporting the development of emerging thought leaders.
- Demonstrated creativity in generating and coaching the development of compelling data visualizations (Tableau preferred).
- A talent for big-picture thinking and managing all of the moving parts of a multidisciplinary research program.
- Highly organized, communicative, and collaborative.
- Familiarity with CDFIs, impact investing and/or small business lending preferred.
- Experience in climate finance and climate justice a huge plus.
- Established network of collaborators aligned with PCV’s mission a plus.
- Bilingual skills (especially in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin) highly desirable
- Advanced degree in Economics, Social Science, Applied Research, or related field strongly preferred.
This is a hybrid/remote position based at our headquarters in Oakland, CA. The role may involve occasional travel to other locations in California as well as visits with small business owners and community partners around our key geographies. Must be available to coordinate time in the office with the team at least once a month.
As an organization committed to creating good jobs, we walk the talk. We provide excellent benefits for full-time employees, including full health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings accounts with a generous match which is fully vested immediately, ample paid time off and holidays, as well as professional development opportunities. PCV also provides 1:1 executive leadership coaching services for leadership roles such as this.
Interested candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States. They should send a résumé and cover letter via e-mail to email@example.com with the words “Director of Applied Research” in the subject line, by August 31st. No phone calls, please. Apply now.
PCV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran, or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. We live our values of openness, transparency, coming from a place of yes, collaboration, and more; and believe that justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental to our success. We are especially interested in candidates who have direct experience with the communities we serve.
Compensation and Benefits
$100,000 – $120,000 / Yearly Salary