Company: Nonprofit Finance Fund
Locations: , NY; , NJ
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
The COVID crisis and the uprising for racial justice have shone national light on both the urgent work required to build a more just and vibrant society for all Americans and the potential for positive action when our communities mobilize. In most cases, these efforts are spearheaded by nonprofits, community organizations, and their heroic staff who deliver essential services like affordable housing, social justice advocacy, health, youth development, and the arts. Yet these nonprofits and the communities they support operate within a flawed, inequitable funding system that controls their access to resources, impeding their ability to make a difference.
Nonprofit Finance Fund (NFF) is setting out to change that. We know that nonprofit leaders have power when they have access to capital and financial knowledge. Our strategy focuses on helping to shift that power by changing funding and financing practices so more money flows equitably and with less restriction to community-centered organizations led by and serving people of color, so they can be the drivers of their own change.
Read about our commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion here.
Position Reports to: National Director, Loan Origination
Location: New York / New Jersey
About the Opportunity:
NFF’s Financing team provides nonprofit organizations with capital for their facilities and operational needs. We are committed to ensuring communities of color and their leaders have access to and control of the capital they need to meet their goals. We do this by partnering with organizations to ensure our financing products meet their needs now and as they evolve over time. NFF partners with the following sectors: affordable housing, shelters, charter schools, community health centers, workforce development, arts and human service providers.
We are seeking a Director, Loan Origination to join our Eastern Region team. The Director, Loan Origination will be responsible for driving the business activity of the Eastern Region lending team. This position will partner with the Director, Loan Origination in the planning and implementation of strategic initiatives aligned with NFF’s mission, proposing ways to integrate the strategy into the different aspects of the business development work. This role will collaborate with the Loan Origination and Underwriting team to structure and support viable financing opportunities while ensuring successful client experience.
A successful Director, Loan Origination will contribute to lending process improvements by providing suggestions to streamline and facilitate the team’s workflow. They’ll bring in knowledge of key and emerging markets on the Eastern Region, with a particular focus on New York and New Jersey, to support and inform the loan origination strategy. They’ll build and nurture relationships with local partners and community anchor organizations in furtherance of the community-centered approach that NFF’s new strategy has as key priority.
This position is based in New York or New Jersey. Our offices have re-opened, and staff can opt into working from the office as desired. The role requires a minimum of 25% travel, and it is expected that 75% of the time will be externally focused. Travel will consist of local client visits, day/overnight trips to out-of-state clients travel, and local/national conferences.
The Director, Loan Origination Eastern Region will report to the National Director, Loan Origination who is based in New York.
What you’ll do:
Client Relationship and Management
- Develop and nurture relationships with new and existing clients ensuring a smooth transition through the financing process; lead conversations with clients in a way that demonstrates empathy and garners understanding of their experiences and needs, including those who have faced barriers to equitable access of capital
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with capital sources and lending partners (banks, CDFIs, foundations, institutional investors and other capital providers and intermediaries) as well as stakeholders such as consultants, nonprofit networks and advocacy organizations
- Work across the organization to identify business development opportunities and help coordinate the Eastern Region lending activity so that it intersects with NFF’s overall priorities and key relationships
- Support the National Director, Loan Origination, in the development and implementation of a tactical plan for the Eastern Region that will consistently generate a viable pipeline of high credit quality clients and transactions including, but not limited to, on-balance sheet lending, NMTC transactions, off -balance sheet opportunities, and special programs.
- Originate loans and NMTC transactions by identifying, assessing, negotiating, and supporting the underwriting team in the structuring of viable, credit worthy financings.
- Generate new business and manage Eastern Region business development pipeline in coordination with the National Director, Loan Origination, proactively monitoring industry and regional trends and identifying opportunities.
- Conduct initial assessment and analysis of financing prospects, prepare Letters of Support if requested by clients, and present loan opportunities to the Financing team during pipeline meetings for the “greenlighting” of borrowers ready to be issued a term sheet, to keep moving along in the lending process
- Provide guidance and assistance to junior staff in the initial screening of financing prospects and applicants.
Strategy and Market Development
- Identify, build, and nurture relationships with client segments in line with NFF’s mission and strategy.
- Connect with communities and identify ways to address inequitable access to capital.
- Identify and develop community partnerships to support product and process design.
- Support the integration of capital delivery and technical assistance, to ensure the capacity building needs of borrowers are met with a client-centered relational approach.
Who you are:
- You have a minimum of seven years of professional work experience in the nonprofit or financial services industry as a loan officer, business development, and/or loan origination professional
- You are proficient in credit analysis, loan structuring, and business development with a particular focus on affordable housing, charter schools, community health centers or human service providers
- You have a strong relationship-building approach with the ability to center the needs of clients and communities.
- You are a strategic thinker; you combine strategy and innovation to successfully design and implement processes, systems and policies that support the organization’s overall vision and growth
- You possess strong project management skills with demonstrated success managing multiple projects.
- You have an aptitude for problem-solving and are able to identify challenges and provide solutions.
- You maintain a high level of integrity and are able to handle sensitive information in a confidential manner.
- You are flexible, adaptable, and willing to pivot on short notice to meet the organization’s needs.
- You are committed to continuous improvement and demonstrate a growth mindset.
- You have exceptional and proactive communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills.
- You enjoy collaborating with team members who are working together to re-envision the Community Development Finance Industry
- You have market knowledge and relationships in New York, NY and ideally in New Jersey.
- You embody NFF’s mission, core values and commitment to equity.
Compensation and Benefits
At NFF, we are invested in discussing the depth and breadth of each candidate’s background and experience during the interview process and using that information to determine the best offer while considering internal pay equity. The salary range for this position is $120,000-$130,000. NFF provides an attractive benefits package that currently includes up to 18 paid holidays, 3 floating holidays, unlimited vacation time off, health insurance with NFF funded health reimbursement account on medical plan, 2% match and 4% non-match employer contributions toward retirement plan. In addition, NFF provides flexibility to work remotely and access to a “work from home” fund, and flexible spending accounts including commuter benefits.
Nonprofit Finance Fund is committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in its workforce. We are committed to pay equity at NFF and for that reason are unable to negotiate on job offers. We encourage candidates that will help us live out this commitment to apply.
NFF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or military or veteran status in accordance with federal law. In addition, NFF complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every jurisdiction in which it maintains facilities. NFF also provides reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities in accordance with applicable laws.
This job posting provides a general list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required for this position. It does not represent a contract for employment and NFF reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without notice.
When applying, please DO NOT include any of the following information with your job application: Social Security number; driver’s license number or state-issued identification card number; financial account number, or credit or debit card number.