Director, Asset Management (Lending)
Company: National Housing Trust
Location: Washington, DC
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
At National Housing Trust, we equip communities for a sustainable, equitable future by preserving and modernizing existing homes—and building new homes that stand the test of time. Our team of passionate experts and advocates brings resident services, lending, policy, sustainability, and development under one roof, giving us the tools to make real change possible for the people we serve. We believe in the power of learning and creating with the communities around us. That’s why for over 30 years, we’ve partnered with residents, local experts, and national leaders to find the solutions that work. Because we want everyone—everywhere—to be proud of where they live.
NHT’s lending practice is made up of two Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFI): the National Housing Trust Community Development Fund and the Institute for Community Economics (NHT Lending). NHT Lending is committed to providing access to flexible financing for the preservation and creation of affordable housing around the country. Through our unique lending practice, capital is accessible to a broad range of borrowers including non-profit and for-profit owners and developers, Community Land Trusts, and limited-equity housing cooperatives. We focus on expanding access to capital to underserved markets, including emerging and/or BIPOC developers and owners. We understand the role that housing plays in stabilizing individuals and families, most of who are Black, Indigenous, or People of Color, and the role of systemic racism in our current housing crisis.
NHT seeks an individual with a passion for affordable housing to supervise its asset management team as Director of Asset Management. This position will be hybrid and based in our Washington DC office. The Director of Asset Management will be responsible for overseeing management of a $50 million (and growing) loan portfolio. Supervising two staff members, the Director will provide oversight on all post-closing processes, including borrower reporting obligations, delinquency mitigation, loan modifications, and repayment. In addition, the Director of Asset Management will ensure their team meets NHT Lending’s own reporting obligations to a variety of private, governmental, and nonprofit investors. Working closely with the rest of NHT Lending’s team, the Director of Asset Management will also assist with asset-liability matching to ensure the strength of NHT Lending’s financial position. Reporting to NHT’s Managing Director of Lending & Innovation, this position is an exciting opportunity for an experienced individual to provide leadership on process improvements in a diverse and dynamic non-profit. This is a new position resulting from rapid growth over the past 4 years and provides a unique opportunity to co-create a new CDFI Asset management team.
• Provide leadership for asset management team to ensure accuracy of portfolio data;
• Coordinate effective and efficient post-closing monitoring activities for borrowers;
• Provide guidance for loan restructuring and modifications;
• Manage loan maturities, ensuring borrower compliance with covenants and reporting, and
completing annual portfolio reviews;
• Assist other lending staff with underwriting and seeking approval for longer-term maturity
extensions and material loan modifications;
• Lead the creation and implementation of new strategies for portfolio management in
coordination with Managing Director of Lending & Innovation;
• Attend industry events, webinars, and conferences to remain apprised of industry trends
• Coordinate with Finance team to onboard grants and other investments;
• Collaborate with other Lending staff to produce quarterly and annual reports to investors,
grantors, and funding partners;
• Ensure effective systems and processes are in place to track and demonstrate impact of
NHT Lending for multiple stakeholder groups;
• In collaboration with Senior Director of Lending, ensure deployment and goal completion of
current and future investments;
INTERNAL OPERATIONS & MANAGEMENT
• Oversee Asset Manager in tracking loan capital sources, meeting funder compliance
requirements, and tracking NHT Lending’s impact;
• In collaboration with Senior Director of Lending, assist in creation and maintenance of cash
• Assist CFO in ensuring all Lending activities are properly reconciled with the general ledger;
• Work with the Loan Fund Administrator to research, and potentially implement a new loan
software that encompasses loan servicing, reporting, loan origination, and portfolio
• Implement, maintain, and improve internal processes and procedures to reach maximum
efficiency and ensure the needs of all team members, clients, and partners are met;
• Manage the Asset Manager and Loan Fund Administrator, provide support in managing
workflow, be available for questions, and create individual professional goals
DOES THIS SOUND LIKE YOU?
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a committed leader with at least 4 years of experience.
Candidates will ideally have experience in nonprofit affordable housing. Other qualifications could include:
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in finance, housing development, or related field;
• A minimum of 4 years of work experience including at least two years of experience in
community development or affordable housing;
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communications skills, including both verbal
and written skills;
• Excellent planning and organization skills with the ability to prioritize competing timesensitive deliverables;
• Adept at developing and maintaining effective relationships with funders, partners,
community members, and other stakeholders;
• Ability to integrate thoroughness and attention to details with a big picture, strategic vision;
• Detail-oriented, entrepreneurial self-starter who relishes multitasking;
• Strong computer aptitude skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite Programs;
• Experience with loan portfolio management software preferred;
• Commitment and proven track record of promoting racial equity through their work;
• Experience working with diverse and low-income populations;
• Commitment to NHT’s mission, including a deep dedication to assisting low-income families create and access opportunities to thrive.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience. The minimum, median, and maximum salary range for this position is $80,000, $106,600, and $133,300,
How to Apply
APPLY FOR THIS JOB. https://nhtinc.bamboohr.com/careers/49?source=aWQ9NDA%3D
No phone calls.
NHT is committed to providing equal employment opportunity in all our employment programs
and decisions, including, but not limited to recruitment and hiring. Equal employment opportunity
is provided to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
creed, sex, national origin or ancestry, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation,
gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, disability, matriculation,
genetic information, covered veteran’s status or any other protected characteristic under federal,
state, or local law. BIPOC applicants, women, and persons with disabilities are especially
encouraged to apply.
NHT requires that all employees maintain ‘Up to Date’ COVID-19 vaccination status, following the CDC
guidelines, unless they are eligible for an accommodation due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or
practice that prevents them from receiving the vaccine.