Company: Habitat for Humanity International
Location: Remote within the United States, All
Job Function: Financial Services
Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need. HFHI has an Administrative Headquarters based in Atlanta, Georgia, an Operational Headquarters based in Americus, Georgia and Area Office bases of operations in Manila, Philippines for our Asia and the Pacific work, San Jose, Costa Rica for our Latin American and the Caribbean work, and Bratislava, Slovakia, for our Europe, the Middle East and Africa work.
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.
|Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is seeking a Director of Affordable Housing Finance & Development to join a newly forming Housing Solutions (HS) team in the Housing & Community Strategy Department located in the U.S. Office. Ultimately, the Housing Solutions aims to increase the affiliate network’s number of: (1) affordable homes produced (new construction, acquisition and rehab), (2) homes preserved (home repairs, lasting affordable models), (3) homes made climate resilient, and (4) families enriched and communities stabilized or improved. Rooting all work in justice and equity, Housing Solutions’ outcomes must prioritize greatest impact on those marginalized by systemic racism and other systems of oppression. This position will be remotely-based within the United States.
This Director will be charged with overseeing a team and providing advanced subject matter expertise in affordable housing finance and development to ultimately increase the impact of Habitat affiliates across the United States. Leaders in the HS team (for which this role is a part) will create and execute a strategy to deliver technical assistance, tools, resources, grants, and training to affiliates across all “levers” of the development process, including market analysis, subsidy programs, development financing, mortgage financing, predevelopment and development, housing construction and preservation (including climate resiliency and lasting affordability solutions), partnerships, and enabling local policies. The Affordable Housing Finance & Development Director will lead the work pertaining to market analysis, finance, development, enabling local policies, and lasting affordability, and the Director will contribute to work in other areas of the team as well. Additionally, this Director will function as a liaison between the Housing & Community Strategy department and Habitat Mortgage Solutions (HFHI’s CDFI), contributing to lending innovations for greater impact and designing technical assistance so affiliates access financing solutions.
The Director will not only bring advanced subject matter expertise to address current gaps on the team in development and finance (as well as strong skills in market analysis and knowledge in land use and local policies for affordable housing), but they will need to be an astute manager that stretches team member’s skills to new areas. The Director must be a savvy leader who can effectively navigate intra- and inter-departmental coordination, productive collaboration, strategy development, and execution. They will need to be a systems thinker who can critically analyze complex opportunities, discern what is scalable and high-impact, and coach a team to efficiently execute various workstreams.
• Provide advanced subject matter expertise and technical skills in affordable housing finance and development to one’s core work and other high-impact initiatives within the Housing Solutions team, across Housing & Community Strategy department, HFHI more broadly, and directly to affiliates. (25%)
• Operationalize strategy within one’s team, and in collaboration with other HS teams, to advance the objectives of the Housing Solutions team efficiently and effectively (10%).
• Cultivate opportunities, innovations, and resources to scale the impact of the U.S. Habitat affiliate network (15%)
• Develop and monitor workplans (and support one’s team to develop and execute work plans) that strategically optimize technical assistance, training, tools, resources, and grants to affiliate across the topical areas of market analysis, finance, development, enabling local policy, and lasting affordability (20%)
• Manage a team of individuals to grow their skills and efficacy into new subject matter areas using highly collaborative and coordinated approaches to conduct their work (15%)
• Effectively work in partnership with Habitat Mortgage Solutions (HFHI’s CDFI) to increase access to and the utility of financing solutions for affiliates and their homebuyers or homeowners (10%)
• Raise the profile of HFHI by growing one’s public profile as a go-to expert and influencer on innovations and opportunities in the housing market to advance affordable homeownership through activities such as speaking engagements, conferences, research, publications, or coalitions (5%)
o Bachelor’s degree in urban studies, planning, real estate, housing finance, public administration or related field (or work experience equivalent to degree).
o 10+ years related experience with at least 5+ years in affordable housing development and/or affordable housing finance. Advanced experience with development and finance of affordable homeownership strongly preferred.
o Strategic leadership and management skills; comfortable with a fast speed of play, exercises discernment; models coaching and collaboration.
o Ability to manage complex programs, such as technical assistance or development of tools that will increase impact of end users.
o Ability to direct staff on development and financing initiatives as well as needed market analysis to inform the opportunities and strategies of Housing Solutions.
o Foundational knowledge on land use and local policy solutions that enable affordable homeownership.
o Strong written and communication skills.
o Proven commitment to social justice and racial equity
o Ability to navigate complex affiliate and HQ world
• Active support of HFHI Values:
o Humility – We are part of something bigger than ourselves
o Courage – We do what’s right, even when it is difficult or unpopular
o Accountability – We take personal responsibility for Habitat’s mission
Preferred Requirements (in addition to minimum):
• Master’s degree in one of above fields
• Moderate or advanced knowledge of placed-based community strategies, affordable housing, human-centered design, and/or developmental evaluation
• Experience with principles of equitable development or social/economic/environmental justice frameworks
Compensation and Benefits
The actual salary offered for this role will be based on a variety of factors, including location, internal equity and the candidate’s qualifications and professional experience. HFHI offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package that varies by country and typically includes vacation leave, sick leave, personal days, health insurance options, retirement plan contributions and life insurance.
For work locations in the US, the salary range for this position is between $87,000 – $130,000 per year. The target hiring range for this position is $92,225 – $103,075.
How to Apply
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume via the following link: