Craft3 Seeks a Business Services Coach
Locations: Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; Astoria, OR; Port Angeles, WA; Spokane, WA; Bend, OR
Job Function: Business Development
Craft3 is a nonprofit lender – a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) – with a mission to strengthen economic, ecological, and family resilience across Oregon and Washington. We focus on lending to entrepreneurs, nonprofits and individuals who have been denied access to traditional financing. By delivering capital where it’s needed most, we’re helping build a more equitable and resilient future. Learn more at www.craft3.org
Craft3’s commercial lending team focuses on making loans to entrepreneurs who have been unable to access or been denied bank financing. Committed to equity, we focus on historically disenfranchised and underserved populations, helping our borrowers understand the language of finance, access capital and grow their businesses. The commercial lending team uses their experience in banking, finance, coaching, natural resources, community development, and microfinance to build relationships with and serve our borrowers and partners. We bring creativity, compassion, and perseverance to all our work. Mission-driven and service-oriented, Craft3 is committed to extending what is possible when it comes to using capital as a tool for equitable community development.
The Business Services Coach is responsible for delivery of culturally competent [small] business coaching and lead workshops to high-mission clients to address barriers of accessing capital to grow their businesses. Target borrowers include small and medium for profit and nonprofit businesses, particularly those owned by people of color, women, veterans, LGBTQ+, and immigrants, who are unable to qualify for loans from traditional financial institutions. The Business Services Coach instills knowledge and confidence in those we serve so they can experience financial dignity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include some or all the following and are not intended to be all-inclusive. Craft3 reserves the right to change, add or delete responsibilities and duties as seen fit. An employee’s specific job duties, priorities, and performance expectations are detailed in their individual performance plans.
- Deliver culturally competent one-on-one business coaching to high-mission borrowers to address barriers of accessing capital to grow their businesses.
- Contribute to the development of Craft3’s Business Services Program.
- Acquire advanced understanding of the clients’ business to develop action plans.
- Coach clients to successful Business Plan development.
- Guide clients in the gathering of information such as bank account records, and business tax returns
- Prepare and interpret client’s information such as financial document summaries, and income projections.
- Analyze financial information obtained from clients to determine strategies for meeting clients’ financial objectives.
- Refer Craft3 commercial borrowers to online business services platform and support their utilization of curriculum.
- Assist Business Service Program lead workshop efforts including partnership with other resource providers, and co-hosting/presenting and co-creating, as needed.
- Oversee, connect, and evaluate business service resources (by place) to support the local lenders in making better referrals for underserved clients.
- Identify and track local, regional, and state-level business support resources, and catalogue quality online resources.
- Manage intake of internal business services client referrals from commercial lending team.
- Recommend to Business Services Program Lead businesses to culturally competent network of technical assistance and professional service providers as needed to obtain services not offered directly by Craft3.
- Maintain Customer Relationship Management (CRM) for all client notes, meetings, follow-up appointments, etc.
- Assist with outreach to underserved communities as necessary.
Cross Team Development
- Collaborate with other Craft3 departments to streamline systems and processes.
- Assist in creating or delivering training to new staff members as appropriate.
- Participate fully with all members of the Craft3 team.
- Contribute to the body of knowledge, sharing best practices and suggest process improvement ideas.
Culture and Brand Management
- Support the organization’s All Team performance standards, Companywide Competencies.
- Demonstrate stewardship for the Craft3 Brand.
Authorities – None at this time
Direct / Indirect Reports -This is a non-supervisory role.
Peer Positions – none
Knowledge and Experiences
Three years’ experience in small business development, and business advisory services. Experience as a case manager or business coach and community economic development a plus. Ability to build relationships, connections and earn client trust, create transformational experiences not just transactional, adaptable, curious, critical thinking on how power and privilege affect client experiences. Fluency in Spanish preferred.
Preferred Skills and Abilities
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Passion for serving and working effectively in diverse communities across the Pacific Northwest.
- Intellectually curious and enjoy continuous learning.
- Motivated self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Effective listening and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate issues over the phone, in person, and via email to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to successfully work with colleagues located in local and regional (remote) offices.
- Strong work ethic, a high level of integrity, and the desire to achieve.
- Strong troubleshooting methodology and analytical skills.
- Excellent prioritization, solution oriented, organization skills and effective time management to succeed in a semi-autonomous, fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Professional, file share systems, Contact Relationship Management system.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations – Valid U.S. Driver’s License.
Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Periodic travel to meet with clients may be required; travel to company events and offices will be required.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range: $60,500 – $75,000 (DOE)
Additional Information: • Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance • 403b Retirement Plan (with employer match) • Remote Flexible Schedule within Oregon and Washington • Paid Time Off • Paid Holidays • Volunteer Time Off • Transportation • Work From Home (Temporary) • Career growth opportunities!
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled. First review of applications will begin mid-March, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
Remote flexible schedule is available within Oregon or Washington, near one of our offices.
Craft3 is an equal opportunity employer – women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
We really want to get to know you!
Here are some items you will need before you get started:
- Cover Letter; pdf format. (required)
- Resume; pdf format. (required)
- Application process is supported on the following web browsers; Microsoft Edge based on Chromium on Microsoft Windows 10; Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 on Microsoft Windows 7 SP1, 8.1 or 10; Mozilla Firefox (latest version) on Microsoft Windows 7 SP1, 8.0, 8.1 or 10, Apple Mac OS Cataline and Mojave; Apple Safari version 12 or higher; Google Chrome (latest version) on Microsoft Windows 7 SP1, 8.0, 8.1 or 10, Apple Mac OS Cataline and Mojave. Pop-up and cookie-blocking software must be disabled.
What happens next:
- Once you submit your application, you will receive an automated email reply from our applicant tracking system – do not worry, there are humans behind that email!
- Selection Process: your application and attachments you provide will be compiled by date and sent to the hiring manager for consideration. We will follow up with you directly if we are missing any information. This step can take anywhere from two-three weeks.
- The hiring manager will decide based on the information provided in your resume if you should advance to the interview stage. We are very thoughtful about the selection process; it is difficult to give you an exact time of when you will be contacted about the position. Please monitor your email closely for communications from Craft3.
- If you have applied and have not been kept informed on the status of your application, feel free to reach out to email@example.com – we will get right back to you!