Company: Homewise Inc
Locations: Santa Fe, NM; Albuquerque, NM
Job Function: Financial Services
Are you an experienced General Accounting Professional that is looking for a growing, purpose-driven, high-energy work environment that focuses on creating positive change? Consider a career with Homewise! We are a growing non-profit organization that is a leader in affordable homeownership and a developer of mixed-income communities. We seek driven professionals interested in furthering our mission of creating successful homeowners to improve their long-term financial well-being and quality of life.
The Controller – General Accounting’s mission is to ensure that all aspects of the Company’s Financial and Tax Reporting are consistent with the highest accounting standards by establishing financial and accounting policies, procedures, cash management practices, controls, and reporting systems. This position ensures accounting, legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions across Homewise.
The Controller is responsible for general accounting functions as follows:
- Provide timely status of the financial condition of the company by collecting, recording, interpreting, and reporting critical financial data in accordance with GAAP applied consistent with the most current implementation guidance and highest standards.
- Prepare Homewise’s 990 and other tax-related items.
- Establish credibility across the organization as the Accounting Policy expert.
- Report results, identify trends and make recommendations based on the analysis performed to solve day-to-day financial business problems.
- Maintain a detailed, documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all financial reporting is timely and accurately completed.
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis.
- Actively participate in and prepare reports, analyses, and other documentation for internal and external audits as required and appropriate.
- Applies advanced knowledge to perform a full array of complex accounting and financial analyses that may include income, profitability, liquidity, capital, leverage, asset, and liability management.
- Evaluates and advises on the impact of long-range planning, the introduction of new programs/strategies, and regulatory action.
- Provide timely and accurate analysis of budgets, financial reports, and financial trends in order to assist the Controller, Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Financial Officer, and the Board and other managers in performing their responsibilities.
- Teaches others about financial processes, drivers, and systems ensuring information sharing and knowledge transfer.
- Work with Capital Strategy Team members to provide financial data for grant requests, borrowings, and other capital structures and to also ensure that systems are in place to track specific grant requirements, deliverables, etc.
- Assist the Controller, CFO, and Capital Strategy Team in working with financial institutions and other organizations to secure required capital for the organization.
- Use the Homewise, Inc. STARS database system, MIP, Sage Construction management, Outlook, advanced excel skills, and other electronic tools to provide the best service to customers.
- Comply with all applicable regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Strategic thinking. Must be able to think strategically about the future of all Homewise’s functions and the financial reporting, control and accounting implications.
- Technical capacity. Must understand Homewise’s nonprofit financial business model and the applicable accounting policies and practices for bank accounts, short and long term investments, loans, mortgages and mortgage backed securities in addition to real estate development, grants management, and standard accounts.
- Intentional in choices and actions with a focus on where one can maximize influence and ability to create positive change
- Focus on goals and embrace accountability in order to achieve meaningful results
- Grapple to understand a problem and its underlying causes before finding solutions and learn from both successes and failures.
- Customer service. Extremely responsive to internal and external customer requests, exceeding customers’ expectations. Abides by Homewise, Inc. Customer Service Standards.
- Listening skills. Listens to understand others’ viewpoints. Anticipates customer needs and offers innovative solutions.
- Communication skills. Able to clearly present issues – both orally and written.
- Flexibility and adaptability. Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Computer skills. Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, Windows and other software applications as appropriate.
- Work independently. Ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
- High standards. Expect personal performance to be nothing short of the best.
Education and Experience
- 4+ years of financial / accounting /auditing or related work experience in a financial institution or mortgage company
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, economics, mathematics or a related field (or 4 years of equivalent work experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree in addition to the minimum years or work experience required)
- Master’s Degree/MBA in business, finance, economics, mathematics or a related field.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings or weekends as needed.
- This is largely a sedentary role.
- Must be able to occasionally lift up to 20 pounds
Compensation and Benefits
Open to negotiation based on level of experience.
How to Apply
Interested in this opportunity? Please use the link below to submit your resume.