Company: Local Enterprise Assistance Fund, Inc.
Location: Boston, MA
Job Function: Accounting
LEAF is a Boston-based Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI). LEAF promotes human and economic development by providing financing and development assistance to cooperatives and social purpose ventures that create and save jobs for low-income people. LEAF has three major lines of financing:
- Cooperative Ownership: Loans to democratically-owned cooperatives nationally, including
worker-owned coop businesses, community-owned food coops, and affordable housing coops.
- Local Small Business: Loans to emerging minority small businesses in Massachusetts and
nationally that provide good jobs and wealth-building opportunities.
- Healthy Food Access: Businesses that improve equitable access to fresh, healthy foods in Massachusetts.
Additionally, LEAF provides technical business assistance to small businesses to help them
assess risks and growth areas. Since its founding in 1982, LEAF has invested and leveraged millions of dollars, resulting in the creation or retention of significant employment opportunities. Working at LEAF is great for those who love to learn, enjoy contributing to community development, and want to have a large impact on a smaller organization.
The Local Enterprise Assistance Fund is searching for a controller to manage the accounting department, investor relations and the personnel department. Working closely with the chief financial officer, the controller will maintain the working relationship with LEAF’s department managers and employees and assist them in accomplishing LEAF’s mission. An ideal candidate will have experience in: systems upgrade, small business lending, analyzing business financials, a knack for relationship building and customer service, and a shared commitment to LEAF’s values. It is expected that the controller will become the chief financial officer in two years.
- Perform and support the day-to-day accounting operations of LEAF;
- Manage the accumulation and consolidation of all financial data;
- Prepare internal and external financial statements and disclosures;
- Upgrade accounting systems for notes receivable and payable;
- Maintain and upgrade where necessary personnel policies;
- Prepare the yearly budget;
- Support the activities of the auditors; and
- File regulatory reports timely.
An ideal candidate for the controller position will possess the following qualifications:
- Enthusiasm for LEAF’s mission;
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance;
- At least 4-6 years of relevant professional experience;
- Ability to analyze business financial statements;
- Strong communication and customer service skills;
- Strong organizational and time management skills, and sharp attention to detail.
Compensation and Benefits
LEAF provides competitive compensation, adjusted for experience. The starting salary range for this position is $90,000 – $105,000, plus an annual performance-based bonus. Further benefits include:
● Premium health, dental and disability insurance, premiums 100% paid by LEAF;
● Four weeks paid vacation annually earned on a monthly basis, increasing to five paid weeks after three years;
● Massachusetts Paid Family and Medical Leave, premiums 100% paid by LEAF;
● Twelve paid stipulated holidays per year;
● Twelve sick days per year earned on a monthly basis; and
● 403(b) retirement plan and a 129(e) Dependent Care Plan.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.