Company: ECDI - Economic and Community Development Institute
Location: Columbus, OH
Job Function: Finance
ECDI is a nonprofit organization, dedicated to serving underserved and underbanked small business owners. Our goal is to assure that every entrepreneur – regardless of where they came from, where they live, their gender or their race – has access to funding and the business mentoring services they need to succeed.
We’re based in Columbus, with offices in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Akron, Portsmouth, and Toledo. For small business clients in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana, we serve a one-stop resource center.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. We are committed to attracting and retaining diverse talent while providing learning and professional advancement opportunities for our employees. We strive to advance our mission and bring equitable opportunity to all those we serve and employ.
The Economic and Community Development Institute is an Affirmative Action Employer and members of underrepresented communities and demographics are particularly encouraged to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ and people with disabilities.
The Controller serves as ECDI’s principal accounting officer, responsible for all accounting and financial reporting functions of ECDI. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong work ethic and be a mature people leader, with experience in financial systems, financial close process, financial reporting, budgeting, financial analysis, development of policies and procedures, internal controls, treasury and cash management, Federal cost principles, managing audits, and research and application of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) in a non-profit organization setting.
This position is a hybrid role with required time spent in-office for meetings and team leadership.
Candidates for this position must be located in the Central Ohio Area.
- Lead the organization’s fiscal team, including the supervision, coaching, and professional development of accounting and treasury personnel
Financial Management and Reporting
- Maintain a strong internal control environment in compliance with GAAP and applicable Federal regulations
- Administer the organization’s financial systems to achieve the organization’s financial reporting objectives and government and private funder requirements
- Lead the organization’s monthly financial statement close process, including close calendar oversight and review and approval of account reconciliations and journal entries
- Maintain highly accurate organizational financial reporting processes to support the organization’s decision-making and analysis needs, including responsibility for:
- Monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial reporting
- Departmental and location reporting, including budget vs. actual analysis
- Grant-level reporting, including monthly and quarterly external reporting to government and private funding sources, and budget vs. actual review
- Ad-hoc reporting in response to business needs
- Oversee the organization’s treasury process, including policies and procedures for loan disbursement, cash management, bank security administration, and loan-related reporting
- Prepare the organization’s annual operating budget and rolling forecasts
- Oversee accounting transaction processing functions including accounts receivable, accounts payable, and payroll
- Monitor and maintain financial compliance with requirements of all funding sources
- Develop and maintain organizational policies and procedures that ensure efficient operations, appropriate internal controls and compliance with GAAP, Federal cost principles, and private funder requirements
- Review and provide feedback to Development & Grants Management on proposed budgets for new grant applications
- Coordinate the organization’s annual audit, including the Federal single audit, as well as audits by various government agencies
- Work closely with organization’s external accounting firm to complete annual form 990 tax reporting
- Maintain a thorough working knowledge of and adheres to all ECDI policies and procedures
- Performs other related activities, as required, to assure department and organizational success
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- A successful candidate must also demonstrate strong project management, organization and prioritization skills.
- A strong working knowledge of U.S. GAAP, especially revenue recognition is required, with federal grant and nonprofit accounting a plus.
- Previous finance industry and/or public accounting experience is a plus.
- Computer Skills – Experience with and knowledge of computer operation; knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- Comprehensive knowledge of standard office practices, procedures, equipment, and techniques.
Education and/or Experience:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance AND 5-7 years of accounting experience AND a minimum of 4 years of supervision of accounting functions and teams
- CPA preferred
- Occasional travel required
- This position is a hybrid role with required time spent in-office for meetings and team leadership.
- Must have access to transportation in order to travel to and from the office.
- Typically, the employee must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% or more of the time. The person in this position will occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc., and operate a computer and other office productivity machinery such as a copy machine and computer printer.
- Positions self to move items up to 15 pounds, such as printer paper boxes across the office as needed.
- Must avoid risks found in the typical office setting, which is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated, e.g., safe use of office equipment, avoiding trips and falls, observing fire regulations, etc.
- Requests for reasonable accommodations will be considered.
Compensation and Benefits
ECDI offers a holistic benefits package that reflects how much we value our employees. Benefits include:
- Healthcare (including qualified dependents)
- Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA)
- Dental Coverage
- Vision Coverage
- Life Insurance, STD, LTD
- 401(k) Plan
- A generous time off package
- Take your Birthday off- Its paid!
- Flexible Hybrid Remote Working Schedules