Company: Solar and Energy Loan Fund (SELF)
Location: Fort Pierce, FL
Job Function: Underwriting
Join our established, fast-growing organization and learn from the Nation’s first local green bank. You’ll have the chance to lead, build, and shape the organization’s future, while accelerating your personal and professional growth.
SELF is a national award-winning non-profit Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) with a mission to rebuild and empower underserved communities by providing access to affordable and equitable capital to homeowners, landlords, developers, contractors, and small businesses to help transition communities towards an inclusive clean energy economy. Founded in Florida, SELF has expanded and now serves most of the Southern United States. Due in part to the recent passage of the Inflation Reduction Act, there is historically unprecedented momentum toward clean energy and home resilience. As the country’s first local green bank, and an established and proven pioneer of climate equity, there is need for SELF to lead this national movement. Thus, SELF is rapidly growing and hiring—a position with SELF provides enormous career growth opportunities while doing work that matters.
SELF is looking for an individual who seeks to learn, and/or enhance their skills, in consumer loan underwriting. The Consumer Loan Underwriter will be responsible for the underwriting and analysis of consumer loan applications and loan portfolio performance. This person will work with an established team and will require a full time commitment to reaching the lending goals of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processing new loan applications submitted by Loan Officers.
- Work with borrowers through all stages of the financing process.
- Data input, income and budget calculations and analysis.
- Submit for final decisions and assist other underwriters on final decisions.
- Analyze financial statements, income documents, tax returns, and other financial and/or project/borrower information.
- Analyze credit checks/credit bureau reports.
- Assist with loan closings and authorize projects to begin.
- Maintain client and portfolio information in a timely manner, ensuring that information from these sources is used to generate investor and internal reports that are accurate and updated.
- Maintain a culture of quality customer service at all points of contact with clients when responding to borrower inquiries and requests.
- Support and work closely with the loan officers.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports regarding lending and underwriting goals.
- Assist with projects during lower volume time periods.
Education and Experience:
- A college degree, Associates or Bachelors, is required.
- Experience is preferred but not required—SELF is willing to educate and train the right candidate.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and follow through with multiple assignments at once.
- Ability to take direction and learn from others while also being able to self-initiate work and tasks.
- Must be analytical, logical, efficient, thorough, and detail-oriented to succeed in this position.
Compensation and Benefits
Top Benefits and Perks:
We provide benefits that support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical, dental, and vision benefits; 403(b) contributions; performance-based bonuses; 12 paid holidays; a minimum of 20 days of paid leave; and paid leave to volunteer- something SELF is passionate about.
Hybrid Remote: this position will be in-office three days a week with the option to work remotely two days a week. SELF headquarters is located in Ft. Pierce, Florida.
How to Apply
If joining the national movement towards climate equity appeals to you, please submit a resume on our website at https://solarenergyloanfund.org/careers/. Inquiries welcomed.