Community Development & NMTC (New Market Tax Credit) Loan Officer
Company: South Carolina Community Loan Fund
Locations: Flex/Hybrid, SC; Charleston, SC; Greenville, SC; Columbia, SC
Job Function: Lending/Loan Operations
South Carolina Community Loan Fund (SCCLF) is a statewide, nonprofit Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) with offices in Charleston, Columbia, and Spartanburg. SCCLF’s mission is to advance equitable access to capital for people of color, women, low-income individuals, and those in rural communities. Acknowledging that the need for our work is rooted in generations of injustice and disinvestment, our purpose is to help people by providing loans, technical assistance, and advocacy for the development of affordable housing, healthy food retail, community facilities, and community businesses throughout South Carolina.
The Community Development & NMTC Loan Officer will be responsible for developing a loan portfolio and maintaining a pipeline of potential investments that is healthy and responsive to the needs of SCCLF’s constituency. This Loan Officer will also have the ability to screen new NMTC opportunities and analyze the feasibility of NMTC investments, including reviewing real estate due diligence and identifying risks. The Loan Officer will originate and underwrite loans and assist with the closing of loans with the Commercial Loan Portfolio Manager.
The successful candidate will be proficient in credit analysis and have in-depth knowledge of community and economic development and knowledge of New Market Tax Credits.
The Community Development Loan Officer will report to the Chief Lending Officer.
- Lending: Responsible for meeting assigned annual lending goals, assisting clients in securing SCCLF loan for affordable housing, healthy food retail, community facilities, and community businesses. Support clients through all stages of the lending process from originating deals to assisting with applications, conducting financial analyses, preliminary underwriting and loan structuring, preparing documents for loan approval, and presenting proposals to loan committees.
- Business Development: Build relationships with banking and community partners to advance SCCLF’s mission. Identify co-lending opportunities. Identify events, workshops, and other venues for SCCLF to present information about its loan products. Engage in community service opportunities (boards, advisory committees etc) that advance the mission of SCCLF.
- Business Technical Assistance: Responsible for executing technical assistance strategy to support lending goals. Will also work with clients to evaluate their overall financial health, determine financing needs, verify credit-readiness, and assess project feasibility. Assist and advise loan applicants by educating them on the loan process, responding to questions and requests and following up regarding incomplete documentation. Make recommendations and offer resources to applicants that will improve loan applications and probability of approval.
- Assessment and Knowledge Sharing: Represent SCCLF in public forums, facilitate community outreach efforts, and build referral networks. Ensure that data collection meets organization’s needs. Enter all borrower data into Salesforce.
- Proficient with “The 5 Cs of Credit”
- Ability to spread income statements and balance sheets.
- Knowledge of non-profit and for-profit accounting and understanding of community development finance
- Evidence of significant external client contact and business development skills
- Capacity to prioritize multiple responsibilities to meet internal and customer deadlines while ensuring credit integrity.
- Ability to provide creative and flexible solutions to loan applicants by identifying relevant risks and mitigation factors.
- Commitment to mission-driven lending
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- At least three years of commercial lending and credit (excluding mortgage lending). Special consideration will be given to candidates possessing experience with New Market Tax Credits
- Experience with the CDFI industry preferred and/or experience with community development.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Experience with Salesforce and other lending software (i.e., FISCAL) -or the ability to quickly learn.
- Strong written, oral communication and presentation skills
- Occasional out-of-town travel may be required.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary: Starting at $70,000 + commission depending upon experience (i.e., New Market Tax Credits)
Health Insurance: SCCLF provides medical, dental, and vision insurance as well as long-term disability insurance (maximum of $1,000 per month) and a basic $10,000 life insurance policy. Health insurance benefits are provided by United Health. Employees are eligible for health insurance coverage on the first day of the month following hire date. Other benefits include Healthcare/Flexible Spending Accounts (HSA/FSA), commuter benefits, company-sponsored discounts with preferred partners (Working Advantage, LifeMart, etc.), Additional benefits include Voluntary Short Term Disability Insurance (VSTD) plan from MetLife, Voluntary Term Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, Critical Illness, Hospital Indemnity, Accident Insurance and Group Legal Services.
Retirement Benefit: SCCLF contributes 3% of each employee’s salary to a Vanguard 403(b)-retirement plan on the first day of the month following hire date.
Paid Time Off & Other Benefits: SCCLF offers fully compensated, unlimited paid time off (PTO) to regular full-time employees, 14 paid holidays per year, a weeklong winter holiday and hybrid/flex work options. Additional benefits include an annual $2,000 professional development stipend, a $25 monthly cell phone stipend and mileage reimbursement for out-of-town travel at the federal rate of reimbursement. (Columbia office only: Paid garage parking permit). No additional compensation in lieu of benefits will be provided
SCCLF currently provides a flexible and hybrid working environment. The candidate must reside within one hour’s commute of SCCLF’s Greenville, Charleston or Columbia, SC office. Flex schedule will be determined by the manager. Occasional flexibility is required as some company-sponsored events may occur outside of normal working hours and/or at one of the other office locations.
How to Apply