Company: Deutsche Bank
Location: New York, NY
Job Function: Underwriting
Deutsche Bank provides commercial and investment banking, retail banking, transaction banking and asset and wealth management products and services to corporations, governments, institutional investors, small and medium-sized businesses, and private individuals. Deutsche Bank is Germany’s leading bank, with a strong position in Europe and a significant presence in the Americas and Asia Pacific.
Founded in 1990, Deutsche Bank Community Development Finance Group (CDFG) is a recognized provider of innovative social finance products and initiatives; to date, CDFG has committed over $3 billion in U.S. community development loans and investments. As the CDFG Vice President, you will play a principal role in originating, structuring, and managing a portfolio of market-based, high impact loans and investments that benefit low- and moderate-income communities and respond to emerging community development needs in the U.S., particularly in New York City. A successful Vice President is passionate about community development and is a demonstrated leader and positive thinking problem-solver, who can manage multiple priorities and transactions while working in close coordination with colleagues and stakeholders. You will also play a central role in the development and execution of CDFG’s strategy and be involved in high level of coordination with other members of the CDFG team, a small dynamic unit with multiple roles and responsibilities. You will report to the head of CDFG.
What You’ll Do
- Source, structure and negotiate new loans and investments; Manage transaction due diligence; lead transaction calls and site visits; Lead the underwriting and credit approval processes, including preparing and presenting investment memos for consideration by senior bank risk officers
- Support timely completion of Know Your Customer (KYC) diligence; Work with counsel to finalize legal documentation to be consistent with approved terms; Liaise with client, counsel, bank operations and CDFG colleagues to ensure that loans and investments are closed and correctly booked
- Oversee strong portfolio quality and ensure sound risk and asset management practices; surface and troubleshoot issues in a timely manner; Lead the operational processes and controls for CDFG; provide oversight and support to junior staff; Monitor and assist with day-to-day portfolio management including advances, capital calls, modifications, and extensions
- Prepare quarterly and annual credit reviews, including analysis of borrowers’ financial and social impact data, and compliance with covenants; Monitor real estate projects during construction/lease-up by maintaining awareness of development progress, appropriateness of draw requests, adequacy of capital sources, cost overruns and availability of contingency; Regularly identify efficiency improvements in all operational aspects of CDFG
- Increase visibility of CDFG’s work within Deutsche Bank and support the preparation of internal reporting and presentations to other business units and senior management; Support development of internal and external marketing and communications, liaising with the Bank’s communications and marketing teams
- Help drive CRA outperformance by supporting exam documentation, preparation, and review; Facilitate knowledge transfer, cross-learning and effective teamwork; some supervision of staff may be required
How You’ll Lead
- Responsible directly and in collaboration with CDFG team members for leading business development efforts
- Develop and maintain relationships with clients and key stakeholders, including non-profits, CDFIs, banks, real estate developers, impact investors, public agencies, and other stakeholders
- Identify and explore new loan and investment opportunities; assess financial viability and credit risk, suitability, and alignment with CDFG objectives and business model; Engage with clients and prospects to understand needs and develop financing solutions
Skills You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, or a related discipline; graduate degree in business
- Extensive experience in the lending or investing sector, preferably with a CDFI, bank or other financial institution in origination, underwriting or structuring role(s)
- Financial and credit analysis skills, including the ability to analyze project financials/proformas, loan portfolios, financial statements, and business plans and to make independent recommendations to senior and credit risk management
- Passion for social justice, racial equity and inclusion, economic mobility, community development and/or impact investing sectors administration, urban planning or a related discipline is a plus
- Self-motivated with effective time-management skills and ability to manage a diverse and demanding workload with minimal direct supervision
Skills That Will Help You Excel
- Established working knowledge of NYC community development sector; experience with NYC public and nonprofit sectors is a plus
- Experience with commercial real estate finance, investment or development is a plus
- Exceptional verbal communication, writing and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively as a member of a small, entrepreneurial, and dynamic team
- Detail oriented; An ease with learning new systems/applications and proficiency with Excel & PowerPoint
Compensation and Benefits
It is the Bank’s expectation that employees hired into this role will work in the New York office in accordance with the Bank’s hybrid working model.
Deutsche Bank provides reasonable accommodations to candidates and employees with a substantiated need based on disability and/or religion.
The salary range for this position in New York City is $130,000 to $200,000. Actual salaries may be based on a number of factors including, but not limited to, a candidate’s skill set, experience, education, work location and other qualifications. Posted salary ranges do not include incentive compensation or any other type of renumeration.
What We Offer You
- A diverse and inclusive environment that embraces change, innovation, and collaboration
- A hybrid working model, allowing for in-office / work from home flexibility, generous vacation, personal and volunteer days
- Employee Resource Groups support an inclusive workplace for everyone and promote community engagement
- Competitive compensation packages including health and wellbeing benefits, retirement savings plans, parental leave, and family building benefits
- Educational resources, matching gift, and volunteer programs
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume: