Company: City First Enterprises
Location: Washington, DC
Job Function: Public Relations
City First Enterprises (CFE) is a financial institution working at the intersection of financial innovation and impact investment in the quest for a more equitable economy. CFE’s commercial loan fund is designed to provide accessible debt capital to entrepreneurs, innovators, and change-makers working in affordable housing, small businesses, education, nonprofits, community facilities, green energy, and commercial real estate in Washington, DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Homes by CFE, an initiative of CFE, is a down payment assistance program that provides eligible Black and Latino families with funds for homeownership.
CFE and Homes by CFE are Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFI), a designation given by the United States Treasury to organizations expanding economic opportunity in low-income communities by providing access to financial products and services for residents and businesses.
To learn more about our organization, please visit our website at https://www.cfenterprises.org/ and www.homesbycfe.org.
The Communications and Development Manager is a newly-created position, building on our track record of success to lead major growth in CFE’s communications, marketing, and funding, including for our Homes by CFE initiative. Over the next three years, the organization’s upcoming strategic plan will call for us to strengthen our communications, marketing, and storytelling functions, while significantly increasing funds for our operations and lending.
The ideal candidate is an emerging professional with prior successful communications and development experience who is now ready to lead these key organizational functions. They are a strong and collaborative project manager, able to work effectively with expert consultants and cross-functional teams to develop high-level brand, communications, product marketing, and fundraising strategies – and also roll-up-their-sleeves independent do-er who is enthusiastic about the day-to-day work of delivering on those strategies with minimal direction. They have exceptional writing and storytelling skills; design skills are a plus. Culturally, they enjoy working as part of a dynamic, small team; can manage multiple responsibilities; and feel energized in a fast-paced environment with fluid priorities.
This role reports to the Senior Manager of Impact & Development and works closely with the CEO and the Senior Advisor for Fund & Organizational Development. We expect that within one to two years, this position will offer opportunities for advancement depending on the strengths and professional goals of the inaugural Manager as the communications and development team grows.
This is a hybrid-preferred position, with two days per week expected in our downtown Washington, DC office plus additional in-person meetings with funders, partners, and colleagues as needed.
WORKING AT CFE
CFE offers a unique start-up-like work environment that is open, innovative, and collaborative.?We are committed to serving the communities we work and live in by leveraging financial tools, creativity, and technology. CFE is the right fit for intellectually ambitious individuals, willing to work hard and always holding themselves accountable to a high bar of performance.
The City First family of organizations is dedicated to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion in our work and hiring practices. City First Enterprises entirely focuses on equality and economic inclusion and believes that diversity in opinion and background only helps further that mission.
CFE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We provide equal employment opportunities to all people regardless of ethnicity, age, religion (and lack thereof), disability that can reasonably be accommodated, marital status (including domestic partner status), ancestry, nationality, national origin, family status, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), other medical condition (physical or mental), AIDS/HIV status, genetic information, sexual identity, gender identification (including transgender status), sexual orientation, and veteran status.
Communications and marketing (50% FTE):
- Project-manage the development (with internal leadership and expert consultants) and lead the ongoing implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive brand, communications, and product marketing strategy, workplans, and metrics
- Develop, implement, and drive organization-wide adoption of core operational assets including a communications calendar, social media policies, style guide, etc.
- Create and execute product marketing and communications campaigns including marketing materials, e-newsletters, annual impact reports, client stories, etc. with support from consultants as needed, incorporating written content, photos, videos, and infographics
- Maintain up-to-date content and oversee periodic improvements to the architecture of our English and Spanish-language websites; develop and implement SEO and advertising strategy
- Create and share strategically aligned content for our social media channels
- Grow our profile as a field leader increasingly over time, including securing and supporting conference speaking opportunities for team members and working with consultants to seek media coverage, produce and publish case studies and white papers, etc.
Fund development (50% FTE):
- Project-manage the development (with internal leadership and expert consultants) and lead the ongoing implementation and evaluation of a comprehensive development strategy, workplans, and metrics to raise funds for operations and lending
- Contribute written content to funding proposals, applications, and reports under the leadership of the Senior Manager of Impact & Development
- Conduct prospect research to identify new and increased potential funding sources
- Organize briefings and site visits for potential and current funders as needed
- Over time, take on the cultivation and stewardship of a small and growing portfolio of potential and current funders
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Able to learn quickly and adapt to fluid work demands
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud Suite, and ability to pick up additional software and technology with ease
- Experience with content management systems such as Constant Contact and WordPress
- Proficiency and strategic understanding of digital communication channels
- Experience with CRM systems such as Salesforce
- Graphic design experience preferred
- Interest in continuously improving systems and processes
- Detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills
- Comfortable working in a small-office environment
- Preferred ability to be physically present in the office two days a week, plus additional in-person meeting time as needed including potential evenings/weekends and travel
- Experience in the nonprofit sector, banking, or community development finance strongly preferred
- Minimum of four years’ work experience required; at least two years’ experience in communications and fundraising required
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate work experience required
- Bilingual Spanish a plus
Compensation and Benefits
In addition to a competitive salary, commensurate to experience, CFE offers a generous benefits package that includes employer-sponsored health and dental, life insurance, a health savings account with annual employer contributions, a retirement plan with employer matching, paid parental leave, and a generous paid time off program.
Our robust benefits package includes:
- 403b with employer match
- Medical and dental insurance with employer contribution
- $2,800 annual HSA employer contribution for a family; $1,400 for an individual
- 16 PTO days to start; more after three years
- 11 paid holidays
- 5 paid sick days
- End of the Year Winter Break
- Employer-paid short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Remote work with 2 days per week at the office (subject to change)
- Transportation benefit
- Employer-paid life insurance
$75,000-$85,000 commensurate with experience