Company: Opportunity Finance Network
Location: Washington, DC
Job Function: Investment
OFN is a leading national network of CDFIs headquartered in Washington, D.C. In pursuit of our mission to align capital with social, economic, and political justice, OFN supports its 400+ member CDFIs to drive transformational change in financially underserved rural, urban, and Native communities nationwide. We help money flow to people and places where traditional finance doesn’t reach. As a financial intermediary, OFN secures private capital for CDFIs through strategic partnerships with leading corporations such as Google and Twitter, mainstream financial institutions such as Bank of America and Wells Fargo, and philanthropic organizations such as the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
OFN builds the strength of its membership and other CDFIs through financial products and services, events, training, research, policy advocacy, and visibility. Currently, OFN has an on-balance sheet loan portfolio of $220 million and manages capital on-and off-balance sheets of nearly $1 billion, and has plans to bring an additional $1 billion in new private capital to the industry.
To learn more, visit www.ofn.org
People who work at OFN come from a variety of professional and academic backgrounds. If you have:
- Passion for the mission and true believer in our core purpose.
- Courage to be a fearless advocate who is confident and resilient in our fight to drive capital into low-income communities.
- Smart, quick seekers of knowledge who thrive on creating and developing new strategies, products, and programs for increasing capital to communities we serve.
- Desire to be a collaborative team player who possesses humility and a willingness to lean in all areas of our work.
Come be a part of our growing diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff. At OFN, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive workplace, so if you are excited about this role but your experience does not align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply nonetheless. You may be the right candidate for this or other roles.
This position is based in Washington, D.C. All staff currently work a hybrid schedule.
OFN has an exciting new opportunity for an experienced Investment Officer to deploy capital in support of CDFIs’ efforts to grow their portfolios of green and climate loans under our Climate and Environment program. The Climate Senior Investment Officer will analyze debt and equity investment opportunities at the organizational, product, and deal levels using loan portfolio and financial statement data and in-depth conversations with organizations’ senior management teams. Expect to develop relationships with OFN’s members and work across OFN’s teams to support OFN’s mission.
The Climate Senior Investment Officer will be a key member of OFN’s growing Financial Services team. The core role of the Climate Senior Investment Officer is to serve as OFN’s subject matter expert for climate lending products, programs, and projects to support OFN members in their efforts to expand in climate lending work. The Climate Senior Investment Officer will primarily work with OFN’s financial services team as OFN continues to develop, deploy, and manage its climate-related investment programs, bringing in-depth knowledge of and experience with climate lending, including for solar energy and storage, energy retrofits of buildings, energy efficiency, and zero emissions transportation projects. The Senior Investment Officer will also analyze primarily balance sheet debt investments in OFN members.
Supervisor: SVP, Investment & Portfolio Management
- Serve as lead investment officer of climate lending focused on providing leadership and guidance to OFN’s financial services team about greenhouse gas (GHG) reduction and other climate-related loan products and projects.
- Analyze community lenders’ climate-lending strategies, products, policies, and procedures to determine the degree of risk involved in extending grant and debt capital.
- Evaluate and manage risks associated with GHG reduction program funding. This involves identifying potential environmental, regulatory, or project-specific risks and developing risk mitigation strategies.
- Work across OFN’s teams to support OFN’s mission and climate objectives. Collaborate with OFN’s SVP, Climate and Environmental Programs, to support and inform the implementation of OFN’s climate-lending program objectives and reporting metrics.
- Work closely with partners to structure financial terms and products that align with GHG reduction and other climate-related lending objectives.
- As part of the financial services team, prepare and present impact, credit, and financial risk analyses memorandum to investment committees. Currently, OFN is extending general balance sheet loans to OFN members. OFN’s future investing may include participation loans or other financial products.
- Assist with the development and implementation of financial services team training, investment strategies, and investment policies and procedures.
- Actively participate in the portfolio management of OFN’s on- and off-balance sheet investments. Strengthen relationships with borrowers and ensure they maintain compliance with covenants.
- Generate investment opportunities by developing relationships with OFN’s members.
- Coordinate with team members to complete applications, documentation, and fund disbursements.
- Bachelor’s degree or 7-10 years of work experience in lieu of a degree.
- 7+ years’ demonstrated experience in climate financing or lending in a climate-related industry. 5+ years climate-lending experience appropriate if have a Master’s degree in a relevant field. Experience with a broad range of climate financing including but not limited to: distributed power generation and storage, decarbonization retrofits of existing buildings, net zero building construction, and transportation pollution reduction.
- Demonstrated extensive credit analysis experience and experience writing and presenting detailed investment recommendations with emphasis on clarity, conciseness, and relevance.
- Experience with underwriting or managing participation or co-lending agreements is a plus.
- Experience with loan/grant management systems and CRMs (Customer Relationship Management software) is a plus.
- A strong knowledge of finance, investment principles, data, and financial analysis is essential.
- An understanding of climate change, GHG emissions, carbon markets, renewable energy investments, and sustainability reporting frameworks (such as the Greenhouse Gas Protocol) is beneficial.
- Strong communication skills are essential for engaging with stakeholders, presenting grant proposals, and building relationships.
- Superior organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks effectively and efficiently under minimal supervision as well as the ability to set priorities and meet deadlines under pressure without sacrificing quality.
- Understanding of financial documentation and risk mitigation strategies.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel and financial modeling skills.
- Digital literacy and ability to navigate workplace technology.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with teams across OFN.
- Comfort working in a small-office environment and/or experience working in a nonprofit environment preferred.
- Some travel required (15% of time).
- Job involves normal physical requirements for an office position.
How to Apply
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to: