Company: National Housing Trust
Location: Washington DC, DC
Job Function: Finance
National Housing Trust works so everyone everywhere can be proud of where they live. That starts with home. The US faces a shortage of nearly seven million homes accessible to lower-income residents, and existing
affordable housing is vulnerable to age, climate disaster, and expiring regulations. Without immediate, coordinated efforts to preserve existing homes and build new ones, families will be trapped in poverty and instability.
National Housing Trust Offers Solutions. The NHT team of passionate experts and advocates brings resident services, lending, policy, energy solutions, and development under one roof to make real change possible
for the people they serve.
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is one of several core reports to the CEO, Priya Jayachandran, and will be a key member of the Senior Management Team. Other Senior Management Team members include Managing Director for Policy and Solutions, Managing Director of Lending & Innovation, Managing Director of Community Outreach and Impact, and Managing Director of Real Estate.
Currently, the CFO has two direct reports: the Director Real Estate Accounting and Director Corporate Accounting, Treasury and FP&A. The Finance Department has a total of nine staff, including the two direct reports. The board recently approved the addition of three additional finance staff positions to assist in reporting and accounting.
Financial Accounting and Reporting
With support from the Directors of Corporate Accounting and Real Estate Accounting, lead the accounting and reporting function for the company:
▪ Oversee general accounting operations, including payroll and benefits, A/R, A/P, etc.;
▪ Establish and maintain appropriate internal controls as well as overall corporate compliance;
▪ Provide quarterly and annual financial reports and forecasts to outside investors and funders as
well as Senior Leadership and the various Boards;
▪ Ensures that all payouts, and distributions are timely and in compliance;
▪ Oversee annual financial audit and independent auditor relationship;
▪ Oversee all tax returns and compliance with applicable tax requirements;
▪ Prepare for and participates in quarterly investor calls;
▪ Work directly with the Finance and Audit Committees of the Board.
Financial Strategy, Management, and Planning
▪ Partner with the CEO and the Senior Leadership Team on strategic direction and initiatives, providing leadership and advice on financial strategies that will further the mission of the
▪ Oversee the financial management of the company;
▪ Manage annual budgeting process, including Annual Business Plan, the ongoing Strategic Plan, and NHT Corporate Goals;
▪ Manage the firm’s corporate financial model, including financials, cash flow and cash requirements, and multi-year business forecasting and scenario planning;
▪ Be accountable for treasury management, including managing operating cash funds, hedging, and decisions on cash flow funding;
Corporate and Property Financing
▪ Help manage third borrowing relationships;
▪ Be accountable for joint venture negotiations and restructurings;
▪ Ensure all loans and other financial obligations are paid on a current basis and all loan and regulatory covenants are in compliance;
▪ Negotiate and close debt instruments to maximize opportunities and lead loan renewals and refinances;
▪ Provide expert and easy to understand technical advice to all staff members involving accounting, cost certifications, accounting consolidations, corporate finance as it relates to NHT and real estate development, along with the Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program, State Tax Credits, Solar Tax Credits, bond financing, grant programs, and the closing and equity harvesting process for apartment transactions;
▪ Support the Real Estate Development Team by ensuring that the proper internal and external resources are available to support the company’s development activities;
▪ Ensure internal collaboration of asset management, services, and development teams.
▪ Manage organization’s Investment Policy and Investment portfolio including collaborating with
third party advisors on investment choices and regular monitoring
▪ Oversee and participate in the organization’s efforts to raise capital for the company; help think
through capital markets strategies; help raise funds from existing and new investors;
▪ Assist in relationship management with investors and key capital relationships;
▪ Maintain presence externally in the field through participation at industry conferences, outside
organization committees, including as a leader in affordable housing and as an active member
of CFO Strength Matters Working Group;
▪ Manage and maintain relationships with government and industry partners;
▪ Manage CRA reporting requirements for NHT’s investors.
Service Partner to Operating Businesses
▪ Develop and manager Customer Service culture within Finance and Accounting teams
▪ Support Managing Directors and their teams consider and execute financing plans for their businesses consistent with entire organization
▪ Troubleshoot finance and audit challenges with peer leaders Client and Transaction Advisory
▪ Bring a capital markets perspective, alongside the CEO and transaction team, to help the organization think through their balance sheet strategies and identify how NHT can structure debt and equity financing to strategically leverage a client’s business.
Overall Corporate Leadership
▪ As one of the senior leaders within the company. The CFO is a key advisor to the CEO and a leader who is expected to advise the overall business, not just on their specific areas of responsibility but holistically about the business. As one of the senior officers of the company, this person will be active externally within the industry to understand and share best practices and to proactively seek opportunities for the organization’s growth
Minimum of 15 years of progressive experience in real estate accounting or finance.
Bachelor’s degree; MBA and/or CPA preferred.
▪ Five years of prior experience as a Chief Financial Officer or senior member of a finance department of a multi-state, multi-regional real estate company with multiple subsidiary corporations and partnerships with a significant, comparable asset base and annual operating budget; experience with large, multi-state, multifamily real estate finance and development organizations preferred;
▪ Demonstrated experience partnering with a CEO to lead and successfully execute strategic initiatives, business development, and organizational change through exceptional project management skills;
▪ Relevant finance and accounting knowledge:
o Demonstrated record of success in prior financial positions, having produced results within a large complex real estate company;
o Demonstrated experience managing complex audit and tax filings and the associated internal processes;
o Demonstrated experience with formulating and implementing organization-wide financial policies.
▪ Relevant real estate and nonprofit knowledge:
o Demonstrated experience and knowledge of federal housing programs and regulations, tax exempt bond financing, and the LIHTC program;
o Experience structuring complex financing transactions, including bonds, debt, equity, working capital, and lines of credit;
o Strong knowledge and experience working on accounting, tax, and legal aspects of real estate partnerships, non-profit safe-haven rules, and other LIHTC tax issues;
o Demonstrated ability to review and analyze real estate transactions;
o Experience with CDFIs and non-profit accounting and tax-related matters.
o Solar tax credits and financing
o Grant accounting
▪ Demonstrated ability to build and manage strategic financial relationships with banking and other financial institutions and social impact investors; strategic relationships with insurance companies as investors and health organizations a plus;
▪ Experience working with a geographically dispersed portfolio; experience working through multiple corporate subsidiary organizations;
▪ Relevant leadership and management skills:
o Demonstrated effective managerial, coaching, and leadership skills, including conceptual thinking and problem-solving skills;
o Ability to achieve results for the organization with and through other people, utilizing creative and innovative solutions;
o Ability to work successfully across disciplines within the company.
▪ Skillful in the communication and use of financial metrics, KPIs, and benchmarks to help guide the organization;
▪ Skillful in using and communicating financial metrics and benchmarks to guide the organization;
▪ Comfortable using and implementing new business technologies and finding opportunities to use business technology innovations to build and grow the business.
▪ The NHT leadership team values collaboration. The successful candidate must be comfortable leading and participating in a collaborative (rather than a siloed) culture;
▪ NHT has a passionate focus on their mission as well as their collaborative and family-friendly approach to internal management. The successful candidate must bring a passion and interest
in NHT’s mission as well as a disciplined business approach to managing the company;
▪ NHT is a leader and innovator within its field. This person will be comfortable innovating within the community development and affordable housing field and will help develop new ideas
based on emerging opportunities and issues;
▪ This person will be growth-oriented and entrepreneurial in their perspective on the business
Compensation and Benefits
Discussed in How to Apply
How to Apply
Applicants should email their resume with a brief description of how their experience fits the job description to Greg Melanson at gmelanson@ZRGPartners.com
ZRG provides our client companies with best-in-class hiring process grounded in fact-based measurements and information. We believe finding the best people for a role involves closely matching exact skills and attributes of candidates to the highly specific needs of our clients. Our entire process is built around providing a superior level of quality candidates to our clients who fit the specifications clearly. To accomplish this, we utilize our patented Z Score hiring process, which provides for improved hiring results and better fits for candidates and employers. To this end, our interview process with our client has been carefully discussed and will include:
1. Initial Interviews with ZRG Partners
2. Presentation of Long list of candidates to Client for approval
3. Green light from Client to proceed to Round 2 for selected candidate(s)
4. Face-to-Face Interview with key members of the management team to confirm match and culture fit
5. Finalists will then complete Z Score On-line assessment process to compare individual behavioral and intellectual traits to our hiring database for similar positions we have filled. At this stage, it will take a candidate about 60 minutes to complete an on-line assessment process to help everyone ensure this is the right role and fit (skills, management style, and culture)
6. Finalists will also participate in an interactive interview where they will make a presentation to senior management.
7. Offer Presentation with ZRG Partners
8. Start with Client