Company: Self-Help Credit Union
Locations: Fresno, CA; Bakersfield, CA; San Franciso, CA
Job Function: Business Development
Self-Help Credit Union was chartered in 1983 to build a network of branches that partner with working families and communities often underserved by the financial marketplace. With over $1.6 billion in assets and serving more than 92,500 members in 32 branches -six in Florida, 22 in North Carolina, three in South Carolina, and one in Virginia -Self-Help Credit Union is one of the fastest-growing community development financial institutions in the country. It is part of the Self-Help family of non-profit organizations whose collective mission is to create and protect ownership and economic opportunity for all. For over 41 years, the national Center for Community Self-Help and its affiliates have provided more than $11 billion in financing to help over 198,000 people buy homes, start and grow businesses, and build wealth. For more information, please visit www.self-help.org.
Are you adept at building relationships with potential borrowers, referral sources, and teammates to generate commercial lending opportunities? Do you want to positively impact under-resourced communities of color in Northern California? If you have a background in business development and marketing in commercial lending, and enjoy collaborating with commercial lending teammates, the Self-Help national commercial lending team has a career opportunity. Our team seeks a Business Development Officer for Northern California who values diversity and inclusion – from our teams to our members.
Self-Help is seeking a Business Development Officer (BDO) to focus on the central and northern California market to join our team to source a variety of for-profit and non-profit commercial loans that have broad economic development impact (e.g., commercial real estate, nonprofit facilities, healthy food systems, public charter school, faith-based, and multifamily housing). Learn more about the position and our lines of business at https://www.self-help.org/careers. A successful candidate will have a background in business development and marketing, commercial lending and analyzing credit, and project management, with a focus on teamwork and a commitment to customer service. A senior position may be available based upon experience.
- Build effective, long-term relationships with referral sources and potential borrowers through in-person and online meetings, presentations on varied financial topics, and other forms of outreach communication.
- Coordinate marketing activities with Self-Help Federal Credit Union branches and Commercial Lending team to expand awareness of Self-Help’s commercial lending products in the northern California market.
- Collaborate with other California lending teammates on state-wide strategic objectives.
- Assess loan requests, including an overview analysis of financial statements and management capacity, to ensure prospective borrowers are a good fit with Self-Help’s credit and mission standards.
- Provide excellent customer service, including prompt responses, basic technical assistance, and referrals to other technical assistance providers, as appropriate.
- Senior position will also manage other BDOs and provide ongoing coaching and feedback to achieve team goals and provide opportunities for career advancement.
Credentials, Experience and skills:
- 3 years of related experience in commercial lending, finance, community development, or real estate development.
- Established business referral networks and collaborative relationships with organizational allies, especially in central and northern California.
- High level of emotional intelligence in support of a collaborative work culture.
- Ability to adapt to expanding markets in California and the Pacific Northwest.
- Quantitative and credit analysis skills and attention to detail to provide initial assessment of credit requests and make sound recommendations.
- Excellent interpersonal, written/verbal communication, and project management skills.
- Fluent in English and Spanish is a plus.
- Ability to prioritize competing tasks to effectively manage workload.
- Willingness to travel throughout the market to meet referral sources and potential borrowers and periodically to Self-Help’s Durham, North Carolina headquarters.
Compensation and Benefits
- Being a part of our mission to create economic opportunity for all.
- Medical, dental, and vision care plans with generous premium coverage by Self-Help.
- Strong 401(k) and health account matching.
- Paid vacation (15 days/yr.), sick (12 days/yr.), holidays (10/yr.), and up to 12-weeks parental leave.
- Hybrid remote work option (2 days remote; 3 days onsite).
- Visit https://www.self-help.org/careersfor more details.
Competitive nonprofit compensation, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package.
How to Apply
Visit the Self-Help Careers Page to apply for this position. This position will remain posted until filled.