Company: Self-Help Credit Union
Location: Richmond, VA
Job Function: Project Management
Self-Help Credit Union was chartered in 1983 to build a network of branches that partner with working families and communities often underserved by the financial marketplace. With over $1.64 billion in assets and serving more than 91,000 members in 37 branches – eight in Florida, 22 in North Carolina, six in South Carolina, and one in Virginia – Self-Help Credit Union is one of the fastest-growing community development financial institutions in the country. It is part of the Self-Help family of non-profit organizations whose collective mission is to create and protect ownership and economic opportunity for all. For over 40 years, the National Center for Community Self-Help and its affiliates have provided more than $10.5 billion in financing to help more than 150,000 borrowers buy homes, start and grow businesses, and strengthen community resources. For more information, please visit www.self-help.org.
Self-Help is seeking a Branch Operations Manager to join our team in Richmond, VA. The Branch Operations Manager is responsible for leading technical assistance and turnaround strategy for Self-Help’s Minority Deposit Institution partner, preserving the legacy of the financial institutions. The Branch Operations Manager will maintain operational integrity of assigned credit union. This position will initiate and direct activities to generate servicing of members and new business development by monitoring results, providing leadership, and coaching Branch Managers and branch team members.
WHAT You’ll do:
- Leads technical assistance and turnaround strategy for Self-Help’s MDI partner, preserving the legacy of the financial institutions.
- Maintain operational integrity of assigned credit union. Will initiate and direct activities to generate servicing of members and new business development by monitoring results, providing leadership, and coaching Branch Managers and branch team members.
- Organizes external new business development programs within market. Assist with the development of branch business plans to ensure that all deposit and loan production goals are met.
- Develop action plans to improve operational policies, procedures, and controls; and mitigate controllable losses in operations.
- Takes ownership of, drives, and is accountable for branch performance within region. This includes operational and growth metrics, among others transaction volume, teller errors, loan volume, net deposit and member growth, and new accounts.
- Leads the strategic planning process by recommending goals; develops, communicates, and implements branch-level production goals, budgets, and operating plans to align with achieving them.
- Creates short and long-term development strategies in conjunction with team and senior management to optimize branch capacity, identify new opportunities for improvement and growth, and ensure achievement of business goals.
- Works with Self-Help senior management to organize and mobilize organizational resources around technical assistance initiatives.
- Provides guidance to branch staff, as appropriate, with transactions.
- Maintains effective branch operations including, timely opening and closing, adequate staffing levels, and effective member service.
- Assists with overseeing branch operations to ensure that policies, procedures, and regulations are being followed.
- Examine and evaluate consumer loan applications and/or supervise others engaged in this task.
- Models’ great customer service for staff.
- Participates, as appropriate, in regular Branch Audit activities.
- Explains services to potential personal and business account members to generate additional business for the credit union.
- Adheres to general regulatory procedures including requirements of the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti-Money Laundering rules.
- Conducts staff meetings, including training and/or providing regulatory or process updates.
- Participates and/or leads performance and accountability sessions with branch staff in conjunction with the Branch Manager.
- Analyze trends in both local/niche markets and member profiles to identify potential sales, marketing, and service opportunities.
- Participate in community relations and new business development activities to enhance the credit union’s reputation and demand for products and services.
- Act as a change agent to drive economic inclusion initiatives by integrating supplier diversity and the use of businesses owned by women and people of color in third-party contracting and vendor management for relevant products and services.
- Perform other duties as may be deemed necessary.
WHAT You’ll need:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field OR equivalent related experience.
- 8 years of experience in banking including a minimum of 5 years in a management capacity.
- Knowledge of financial services policies and procedures and regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Strong commitment to our mission – creating economic opportunity for traditionally underserved communities.
- Preference for working in organizations that place priority on teamwork and collaboration.
- Strong leadership and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent people management and customer service skills. Ability to coach and motivate staff to achieve their goals.
- Knowledge of economic and accounting principles and practices, the financial markets, banking, and the analysis and reporting of financial data. Credit Union leadership a plus.
- Ability and willingness to work beyond normal work hours, as needed.
- Ability to demonstrate Self-Help’s Core Values:
- Mission Before Self
- Service With Excellence
- Embracing & Promoting Change
- Results Not Credit
- Diversity as a Strength
- Financial Sustainability for Mission Impact
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive nonprofit compensation, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package.
How to Apply
Visit our Careers Page to apply for this position. This position will remain posted until filled.