Company: Pacific Community Venture
Location: Oakland, CA
Job Function: Business Development
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Oakland, CA (PCV has office space in downtown Oakland. This job is largely Remote, with the expectation that the team will intentionally get together several times a year to collaborate, local area team members more regularly )
Reports to: Chief Impact Officer, Good Jobs Innovation Lab & Business Advising
Compensation: $90,000-$100,000, commensurate with experience; with generous benefits
Are you a driven fundraising professional who is passionate about building a more equitable society? If so, please join Pacific Community Ventures. Pacific Community Ventures (PCV) envisions a world where every entrepreneur and worker has the freedom and capacity to build intergenerational wealth through a good job. Over the past decade, our research projects and client engagements helped us define and build the field of impact investing; become a leading statewide community development financial institution (CDFI) in California; and begin scaling a nationwide mentorship platform for under-estimated small business owners. We seek innovation that leverages good jobs journeys to close the racial wealth gap in the U.S.
Who We Are
PCV is a 24-year-old 501(c)(3) nonprofit community investor that envisions a world of thriving communities where everyone has a fair shake. Our mission is to invest in addressing racial and gender wealth gaps, and build community wealth by investing in small businesses, help them create good jobs for working people, and make markets work for the common good. We achieve our mission through a “Good Jobs, Good Business” model that combines affordable loans with pro-bono advising, small grants, and tools and incentives to create dignified good jobs. In 2021, 90% of PCV’s loan capital supported women and/or BIPOC-owned businesses, and 86% supported small businesses located in economically distressed areas.
Why You’re Needed
PCV’s Business Advising Platform served >1500 entrepreneurs across the country in 2021 – helping them access coaching and technical advising to establish and sustainably grow their businesses and is on track to serve >2000 this year. We aim for 85% of our services to support entrepreneurs of color, a goal we have met and exceeded in our lending program the last 3 years and aim to do in our business advising program in the near future. We deeply invest in facilitating two-sided, culturally-competent mentor-mentee relationships through this social impact online marketplace platform. We fund our operations, and recruit and train volunteer advisors, largely through corporate and community partnerships.
You are relationship driven and are as comfortable pitching the value of volunteering and grantmaking to corporate social impact executives as you are partnering with diverse community organizations to build trust and deepen impact in under-estimated and historically excluded communities. You are a data-driven leader modelling a culture of excellence and accountability to KPIs, with an empathetic people-focused leadership style and coaching mindset to mentor a growing, and nationally distributed, team as we strive to grow our reach five-fold over the next few years.
Partner Relations & Development (50% of time)
- Develop and lead a Small Business Support Circle fundraising strategy capable of raising sufficient funds to support the program’s $2.5 million budget, aligned with the CEO and PCV-wide fundraising goals and priorities.
- Partner with the CEO and team members, on networking and representation in the Greater Bay Area, and appropriate events, for corporate and sponsorship relationship building.
- Build relationships with corporate and community partners – particularly those serving largely BIPOC, immigrant, refugee and women-led entrepreneurial communities – and facilitate their connection to our mission.
- Create value streams for external partners including sharing success stories, budgeting engagement incentives and co-creating social media campaigns that tell our shared stories.
- Build and maintain an active volunteer advisor pool representing key industries, mentoring capabilities, ensuring cultural competency and lived experience.
- Grow and maintain partnerships to facilitate a consistent pipeline of small business owner and business advisor referrals, consistent with PCVs commitment to reach 85% entrepreneurs of color and create good jobs in low-income communities.
- Support the Chief Impact Officer in meeting KPIs set forth in grant agreements and manage BA team grant relationships and budgets.
- Draft and manage partnership agreements and MOUs in alignment with Stakeholder KPIs; prioritizing key strategic and multi-year partnerships for PCV with partnership associates.
Team Management and Mentorship (40% of time)
- With the support of the Chief Impact Officer, manage a hybrid remote and nationally distributed team of BA Associates and contract Relationship Managers.
- In partnership with PCV’s Good Jobs Innovation Lab, ensure the team is deeply aligned with PCV’s Theory of Change and supporting feedback loops that drive product innovation and findings around good jobs outcomes for our entrepreneurs.
- In partnership with the Program Manager, U|X, identify and implement process improvements to help the BA program efficiently serve a vastly growing client base with a high feedback rating for user experience.
- Train and mentor BA Associates to support in partnership development, KPI tracking and reporting, and project management.
- Establish and monitor monthly goals for the BA Associate, Partner Relations, supporting the Business Advising team’s efforts to meet established annual goals and KPIs
- In partnership with the Program Manager, UX & Platform Growth, identify opportunities for webinars, workshops, and group coaching for both business advisors and small business owners
- Ensure PCV lending clients receive excellent pre- and post-engagement support and ensure target geographical areas are properly developed to meet programmatic obligations – particularly good jobs supports for wealth building outcomes.
- Set and maintain ambitious KPIs for partner engagement and client satisfaction – emphasizing engagement in 1:1 partnerships for 6 months.
- Communicate progress to goals with PCV’s Director Team and build strong cross-functional relationships to play a key role in driving successful organizational outcomes.
External Representation and Promotion (10% of time)
- Represent the Business Advising program externally as identified by the CIO
- Lead PCV’s quarterly listening sessions with our small business entrepreneur community, annual/bi-annual Small Business Circle membership events
- In partnership with the CIO, Business Advising, Marketing team, and BA Associate, UX & Marketing Comms, manage and develop content for PCV’s social media channels that advances the story and vision of our Business Advising program, including free learning webinars for advisors or entrepreneurs on key topics
- Support external communications that build a culture of respect and belonging grounded in equity.
Evidence and our collective experience suggest that women and people of color often don’t apply for jobs if they don’t believe that they possess 100% of the qualifications listed in a job description. Accordingly, below are some of the most important attributes that successful candidates may possess. This list is neither exhaustive nor 100% required:
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
We strive hard to be a diverse and inclusive place to work. We value new perspectives, original ideas, and different ways of working. You will bring a background of working with dynamic teams and projects, as well as excellent analytical and communications skills that you are eager to apply to complex social problems. You should demonstrate a deep commitment to creating social and environmental benefit, under-invested people and places. You should be enthusiastic, flexible, and excited to join a passionate team.
- 7+ years of relevant work experience, including at least 2 years in a fundraising role with a demonstrable track record.
- 3+ years’ experience managing staff members, contractors, [and volunteers, preferred].
- Successful experience in project/program design and management capacity in a growth/startup environment, preferred.
- Proven track record of inclusive and equitable service
- Proven networking and relationship-building skills both internally and externally.
- Empathetic, collaborative, and values-driven people
- Strategic and data-driven decision-maker who embraces a culture of excellence and high performance.
- Detail-oriented with uncompromising desire for accuracy in reporting
- Able to prioritize multiple requests with competing priorities and deadlines and communicate pro-actively with internal stakeholders.
- Excellent cognitive and critical thinking
- Ability to influence others in a diplomatic and professional
This position will be based at our headquarters in Oakland long-term, due to the coordination aspects of this role. However, during the COVID-19 pandemic this role will be mostly remote, with occasional office check-ins to support team operations. The role may involve occasional travel to other locations in California.
As an organization committed to creating good jobs, we walk the talk. We provide excellent benefits for full-time employees, including full health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings accounts with a generous match which is fully vested immediately, ample paid time off and holidays, as well as meaningful professional development opportunities. We offer a competitive salary based on experience, with bonus eligibility.
Compensation and Benefits
How to Apply
Interested candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States. They should send a résumé and cover letter via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Corp and Comm Partnerships” in the subject line, by January 30, 2023. Start at earliest convenience. No phone calls, please.
PCV is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law. We live our values of openness, transparency, coming from a place of yes, collaboration, and more; and believe that justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental to our success. We are especially interested in candidates who have direct experience with the communities we serve.
Apply Online: https://www.click2apply.net/V8nKW6skW15Y5U12aUJMPE