Assistant Vice President, Incentives
Company: New York City Economic Development Corporation
Location: New York, NY
Job Function: Advocacy/Policy
Our Vision: To make New York City the global model for inclusive innovation and economic growth, fueled by the City’s diverse people and businesses.
Our Mission: To create shared prosperity across New York City’s five boroughs by strengthening neighborhoods and growing good jobs.
About Us: New York City Economic Development Corporation is a mission-driven, nonprofit organization that works for a vibrant, inclusive, and globally competitive economy for all New Yorkers. We take a comprehensive approach, through four main strategies: strengthen confidence in NYC as a great place to do business; grow innovative sectors, with a focus on equity; build neighborhoods as places to live, learn, work, and play; and deliver sustainable infrastructure for communities and the city’s future economy
NYCEDC offers many unique advantages for an exciting and fulfilling career. As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
- The unique opportunity to make an impact on New York City
- Working on diverse, unique, and challenging projects
- Working closely with teams of creative, highly motivated, and passionate people
- Learning opportunities designed to enhance the practical skills and business knowledge of our employees
- Excellent benefits, including company-paid 401(a) defined contribution plan, 457(b) tax-advantaged retirement savings plans, medical, dental and vision benefits, generous paid family leave and paid time off, and other perks
The New York City Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our Diversity, Equity, and Social Responsibility Mission is to create a People First strategy by attracting, retaining, and engaging a diverse and talented workforce. Like the city of New York, NYCEDC knows our strength comes from each of our connected parts, making the fabric of our organization better and stronger because of our unique employees’ talents.
To help build an inclusive workplace culture, NYCEDC supports six employee resource groups that strive to engage members and advocate for their respective communities within NYCEDC. Those groups are: Accessibility group, Elevation group (BIPOC), Mindful group, Out/EDC group (LGBTQAI+), Parents group and Women’s Leadership group. NYCEDC employees work as part of a highly engaged, passionate and inclusive team where everyone’s contributions are valued, respected, and have an impact on one of the best and most diverse cities in the world!
For more information, visit our website at edc.nyc.
The Assistant Vice President (AVP)–Incentives will play a key role on the Incentives team within the Strategic Investments Group. Reporting to the Vice President (VP) who oversees the Incentives team, the AVP will support the VP in managing and executing on SIG’s portfolio of discretionary incentives programs, including the New York City Industrial Development Agency, Build NYC Resource Corporation, NYC Neighborhood Capital Corporation, and other relevant development finance tools.
- Develop a thorough understanding of tax incentive and tax-exempt bond financing programs that are available through the New York City Industrial Development Agency, the Build New York City Resource Corporation and the NYC Neighborhood Capital Corporation, respectively, and then communicate this information to relevant stakeholders
- Manage complex incentive transactions from origination through closing
- Review applications for financial assistance from for-profit and not-for-profit clients; conduct financial analysis of applicant projects, site visits, and facilitate other due diligence, including environmental, legal and background checks
- Use judgement and learned understanding of financial assistance programs to determine whether applicants are eligible for requested financial assistance, and clearly communicate informed judgements to senior staff and external applicants
- Analyze and present findings and recommendations to project teams, senior staff and independent Board of Directors in written and verbal form and brief senior officials of EDC and other City agencies
- Lead program marketing and business development efforts with external stakeholders
- Design, research, and assist in the administration of new NYCEDC financial assistance programs; perform research and due diligence on new financial programs
- Collaborate with colleagues in other departments in EDC to develop new financial products and programs
- Provide project and professional development guidance and training to junior staff
- Support in the management and implementation of team and company objectives
- Assist in the budgeting processes for all incentive and necessary fund-related activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Undergraduate degree required; preference for graduate degree in business, finance, urban planning, public policy, real estate or related subject area
- 3-5 years of experience in relevant field (Finance, Real Estate, Accounting, Public Policy, Urban Planning, City or State government)
- Preference for candidates with demonstrated experience in financial accounting, including creating budgets, analyzing company financial statements, and reviewing real estate pro formas
- Strong analytical skills with attention to detail
- Proficiency using spreadsheet, database, and presentation applications, including Excel and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with New Markets Tax Credits transactions preferred, but not required
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including public speaking, briefing senior leadership, and engaging with external stakeholders
- Track record of successful project management
- Demonstrated interest or experience in economic development, real estate, New York City, and/or public policy issues a plus
- New York City residency is required within 180 days of hire
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range: $90,000-$93,000
How to Apply