Assistant Program Officer, Childcare & Early Learning
Company: Local Initiatives Support Corporation
Location: Hartford, CT
Job Function: Community Outreach
What We Do
With residents and partners, LISC forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families.
Strategies We Pursue
- Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth opportunities.
- Invest in businesses, housing and other community infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities.
- Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
- Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our work together
- Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being.
Over the last 40 years, LISC and its affiliates have invested approximately $24 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities. Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from East coast to West coast in 38 markets with offices extending from Buffalo to San Francisco and in 2,400 rural counties across 49 states and Puerto Rico. Visit us at www.lisc.org
The Connecticut LISC program has experience developing the infrastructure of community-based organizations by providing technical and financial assistance – building capacity, sharing best practices, and providing project investments to support local solutions to community needs. Since coming to Connecticut in 1984, LISC has invested over $94 million in Connecticut communities. This investment has created: 4,850 affordable homes, 424,000 square feet of commercial space, and 30 childcare & community facilities. Overall, LISC investment has leveraged $828 million of community development activity in Connecticut.
LISC National Child Care and Early Learning Team
Recognizing that childcare and early learning is locally driven and locally focused, the National Child Care Team digs deep in local markets, whether by working with state leaders to develop data-driven plans and roadmaps or working to help assemble and distribute the resources needed to successfully plan and implement facility projects that both increase access and enhance quality. With an eye toward improving equitable access to quality childcare and early learning opportunities for all families in all communities, we work hard to meet the varied needs of all types of childcare providers, from the small, home-based sole-proprietor to the large-scale, multi-site community-based organization.
About The Position
This role offers an exciting opportunity to work with LISC Connecticut to expand equitable access to childcare and early learning opportunities through facilities construction and renovation in areas of high-need across the state. This position will support the development and implementation of an Early Learning Facilities Fund that LISC Connecticut will administer on behalf of the State of Connecticut. The candidate will have strong administrative and project management skills. They will also have experience working with diverse populations and possess general expertise in community development, and/or specific expertise in the childcare and early learning sector. Position is grant funded for two years and continuation of employment is dependent upon grant funding.
- Strengthen community-based organizations’ resource, organizational, programmatic, and networking capacities by providing funding, strategic guidance, planning and project management, technical assistance, and training.
- Develop solid and respectful working relationships with community-based partner organizations, consultants, and grantees. Maintain an in-depth knowledge of their organizational conditions, programs, and projects.
- Provide technical assistance to childcare providers, community development corporations, and other nonprofit organizations seeking to make facility improvements; this can include providing referrals, application assistance, etc.
- Work with Director(s) and program staff in developing strategic collaborations with and among community-based organizations, anchor institutions, and other corporate, civic and public sector organizations to leverage LISC’s capabilities.
- Administer grants/contracts between LISC and community-based organizations and consultants through the lifecycle of the contract, including drafting, monitoring compliance, evaluating performance, processing payment requests, and maintaining contractual records.
- Provide writing, editing, and formatting support for presentations, proposals and reports.
- Assist in the development and implementation of training workshops, seminars, meetings, tours, and special events (both virtual and in-person).
- Represent LISC on coalitions and workgroups and at community meetings, as needed.
- Monitor and update internal reports and data lists across programs.
- Assist with all aspects of program communications, including social media outreach, newsletter distribution, and collaborating with other LISC staff to develop and coordinate external messaging.
- Contribute to office-wide fundraising, policy research, and community engagement activities.
- Assist with other special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, which may include education, architecture, construction management, community planning/development, etc. Relevant work experience may be considered as a proxy.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in community development, childcare and early learning programs or a related field. Program or project management experience in or with community-based organizations is strongly preferred.
- Experience in early learning sector and state policies and possess a comprehensive understanding of the funding streams that support the early learning sector.
- Ability to read, interpret and understand codes, including building codes, ADA, licensing codes, fire safety codes, etc.
- Good understanding of building systems, ability to read blueprints.
- Keen interest in and commitment to the community development mission of LISC.
- Working knowledge of the economic, political, and social environments of Connecticut, especially lower-income communities, organizations, and community development efforts.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with co-workers and a diverse range of individuals and organizations, including but not limited to, residents, community development organizations, public agencies, private developers, funders and lenders.
- Ability to embrace and promote a culture of individual and shared trust and accountability – internally and externally.
- Experience and knowledge in government contracts management and compliance is preferred.
- Strong project management skills.
- Attention to detail and deadlines, especially in the areas of contracts management and reporting.
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and projects, set priorities for a time-sensitive workload, and be solution-oriented professional.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite of programs, especially Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Candidate must also have the capacity to learn and navigate new software required for all LISC employees and for specific program initiatives.
- Strong preference for bilingual English/Spanish oral and written communication ability.
This is a hybrid position. Candidate must reside within commuting distance of Hartford.
Compensation and Benefits
LISC offers a great working environment and opportunities for learning and growth. Excellent benefits package and competitive compensation. Position is grant funded for two years and continuation of employment is dependent upon grant funding.
LISC IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION-EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION AND JUSTICE
LISC is an equal opportunity employer. LISC does not discriminate in employment on account of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, military status or veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business.
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION AND JUSTICE
How to Apply
To apply please follow this LINK