Assistant Program Officer
Company: Local Initiatives Support Corporation
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Job Function: Community Outreach
What We Do
With residents and partners, LISC forges resilient and inclusive communities of opportunity across America – great places to live, work, visit, do business and raise families.
Strategies We Pursue
- Equip talent in underinvested communities with the skills and credentials to compete successfully for quality income and wealth opportunities.
- Invest in businesses, housing and other community infrastructure to catalyze economic, health, safety and educational mobility for individuals and communities.
- Strengthen existing alliances while building new collaborations to increase our impact on the progress of people and places.
- Develop leadership and the capacity of partners to advance our work together
- Drive local, regional, and national policy and system changes that foster broadly shared prosperity and well-being.
Over the last 40 years, LISC and its affiliates have invested approximately $24 billion in businesses, affordable housing, health, educational mobility, community and recreational facilities, public safety, employment and other projects that help to revitalize and stabilize underinvested communities. Headquartered in New York City, LISC’s reach spans the country from East coast to West coast in 38 markets with offices extending from Buffalo to San Francisco and in 2,400 rural counties across 49 states and Puerto Rico. Visit us at www.lisc.org
LISC Philadelphia is the Philadelphia chapter of LISC. LISC is a national non-profit organization, which provides financial and technical assistance to community development corporations (CDCs) engaged in neighborhood revitalization activities. LISC Philadelphia’s three community development priorities are: 1) affordable housing, 2) economic development and 3) equitable neighborhoods. As part of its theory of change, it has identified its primary roles as: capacity builder, lender/investor, convener, advisor, advocate and systems innovator. To learn more about Philadelphia LISC, please visit: www.lisc.org/philly/
The Philadelphia office of Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) seeks an individual with a commitment to economic inclusion and community economic development to fill the position of Assistant Program Officer – Small Business and Community Engagement. The Assistant Program Officer – Small Business and Community Engagement will have the primary responsibility of overseeing our local Business Development Organization (BDO) network and supporting related work within the Community Economic Development portfolio 70% of the time, including but not limited to place-based initiatives, community organization capacity building, family income and wealth building strategies, and lending.
- Contribute to LISC’s overall economic development work portfolio, including taking the lead on the Business Development Organization program and supporting additional solutions to community/economic development issues in the Philadelphia community, utilizing LISC’s suite of programs, financing products and other tools.
- Work with other staff in developing strategic collaborations with and among community-based organizations, anchor institutions, and other corporate, civic and public sector organizations to leverage LISC’s capabilities.
- Support the lending team’s work portfolio as a part of the overall economic development strategy in Philadelphia’s market at 30% of total time.
- Develop strong and respectful working relationships with community-based partner organizations, business development organizations, and grantees.
- Strengthen community-based organizations and business development organizations’ capacities through strategically designed technical support, trainings, grant administration, and additional learning opportunities with guidance and support from LISC local and national colleagues.
- Oversee the planning, coordination, and facilitation of meetings, trainings, and workshops.
- Assist in preparing and managing program budgets, in consultation with the Program Officer and other staff.
- Manage grants/contracts between LISC and community-based organizations or consultants through the lifecycle of the contract.
- Assist the Resource Development team in identifying funding opportunities and supporting funding opportunities identified by the Resource Development team by contributing to proposals, applications, reports, presentations and tours.
- Assist the Communications team in identifying and sharing LISC’s work and the work of community partners.
- Assume the lead responsibility for special projects and other assignments, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in business, finance, urban planning, public policy, business or related field is required or the equivalent in years of related work experience.
- Minimum 2 years relevant work-related experience in program or project coordination working in the community/economic development, including but not limited to demonstrated ability to manage and analyze data, oversee grants administration and compliance, and create and track contracts.
- Keen interest in and commitment to the community development mission of LISC.
- Highly motivated, solution-oriented individual who is self-directed, and able to successfully balance multiple priorities and time-bound projects/programs.
- Demonstrated commitment to an inclusive, racial-equitable, community-based, resident-driven model of community development and decision-making.
- Demonstrated commitment to cultural sensitivity and familiarity with the racial and ethnic diversity represented in the communities that we serve in the city of Philadelphia, including but not limited to North Philadelphia, West Philadelphia, and Southwest Philadelphia.
- Ability to navigate the economic and political environments of Philadelphia and interact with a diverse range of individuals and organizations, including but not limited to, residents, community development organizations, public agencies, private developers, funders and lenders.
- Experience and knowledge in government contracts management and compliance a plus.
- A strong understanding of how to utilize information systems such as Excel, Salesforce, Form Assembly, and other technological resources to maximize efficiency and responsiveness of programming.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bilingual candidates and persons of color are highly encouraged to apply.
- This is a hybrid position and candidates must be local to the Philadelphia area. There is an expectation of a percentage of time working in a LISC Office and/or in the Field (meetings, community events), depending on local circumstances.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range is competitive with a benefits package, paid time off, and opportunities for advancement in the organization.
LISC is an equal opportunity employer. LISC does not discriminate in employment on account of actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, military status or veteran status, unfavorable discharge from military service, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business.
LISC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION AND JUSTICE
How to Apply
To apply please follow this link: https://grnh.se/898e4f235us