Locations: Seattle, WA; Portland, OR; Astoria, OR; Port Angeles, WA; Spokane, WA; Walla Walla, WA; Bend, OR; Klamath Falls, OR
Job Function: Accounting
Craft3 is a 501(c)3 nonprofit lender – a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) – with a mission to invest in businesses, people and communities in the Pacific Northwest. We focus on lending to entrepreneurs, non-profits and homeowners by offering resources to help chart their course. We collaborate with many community and regional partners to create meaningful change to build a stronger Pacific Northwest. Learn more at www.craft3.org.
The Assistant Controller (AC) is responsible for all aspects of financial management, including non-profit accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, annual budgeting, and forecasting. The AC also oversees the development and updating of internal control policies and procedures. The AC serves as a partner, coach and mentor for those in finance roles and will grow to have a direct supervisory role.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include some or all the following and are not intended to be all-inclusive. Craft3 reserves the right to change, add or delete responsibilities and duties as seen fit. An employee’s specific job duties, priorities, and performance expectations are detailed in their individual performance plans.
- Oversee and review for timeliness and accuracy the monthly financial statements as prepared by the Senior Accountant. Work includes oversight of all supporting journal entries, subsidiary ledgers and reconciliations.
- Be point-person for the external auditors as to the annual financial statement audit, single audit and Form 990 tax return preparation.
- Make and support financial presentations made to the Board of Directors or any of its committees.
- Lead the Current Expected Credit Losses (“CECL”) reserves accounting, liaising with Credit Risk Management.
- Lead the annual budgeting process that is decentralized across the organization.
- Fund accounting and Net Asset accounting, including restrictions and releases, consistent with donor conditions.
- Assist Controller with policies and procedures for internal controls, treasury management, and reporting, including compliance with regulations and GAAP. Includes detailed disbursement procedures that provide the appropriate balance between internal controls and operating efficiency.
- Manage annual information reporting to IRS and other regulatory entities.
- Initiate and/or participate in various cross-functional projects and initiatives: system implementations, automation, processes, changes, documentation, and improvements.
- Manage New Markets Tax Credit accounting, tax and compliance.
Primary IT Systems
- General Ledger: Business Central (Microsoft)
- Budgeting Software: Vena
- Loan System: Nortridge Loan Servicing
Cross Team Support / Development
- Collaborate with other Craft3 business units to streamline systems and processes.
- Assist in creating or delivering training to new staff members as appropriate.
- Participate fully with all members of the Craft3 team.
- Contribute to the body of knowledge, sharing best practices and suggest process improvement ideas.
Supervision, Culture and Brand Management
- Supervise individuals, including performance planning and review, training and mentoring, assignment of duties and resolution of human relationship issues that arise.
- Support Management and Supervisors Priorities Agreement; Collaboration, Behaviors, Accountability and Compliance.
- Support the organization’s All Team performance standards, Companywide Competencies.
- Demonstrate stewardship for the Craft3 Brand.
- Keep Personal Identifiable Information (PII) protected. All Employees must ensure the privacy of all PII obtained from employees, clients, and other sources, and to protect such information from unauthorized disclosure.
- Accounting and loan system setup and status changes.
- Tax preparation and filings.
- Transactions and approvals in the normal course of business including cash transfers, accounts payable and loan disbursements, approvals of journal entries and reconciliations.
- Ability to research new circumstances and propose accounting treatment consistent with GAAP and/or other regulatory requirements.
Direct / Indirect Reports – Initially zero direct reports; three to five possible over time.
Peer Positions – Compliance Manager
Knowledge and Experiences
Five years accounting experience preferably in non-profits, lending institutions, public accounting and/or internal audit. Accounting experience in non-profits, lending institutions, public accounting and/or internal audit, preferred. Minimum three years supervisory experience of small team of direct reports. Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Preferred Skills and Abilities
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Motivated self-starter with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Strong troubleshooting methodology and analytical skills.
- Commitment to and demonstration of high ethical standards governing professional behavior and interactions, including the ability to maintain information in a confidential manner.
- Strong work ethic, a high level of integrity, and the desire to achieve.
- Ability to make financial presentations and explain accounting concepts to colleagues, external parties and Board of Directors and its committees.
- Strong conflict negotiation, census-building, and collaborative skills, ability to comfortably liaise and negotiate with internal and external stakeholders.
- Effective electronic communications with a high degree of precision and detail.
- Effective listening and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate issues over the phone, in person, and via email to a variety of audiences.
- Excellent prioritization and organization skills and effective time management to succeed in a semi-autonomous, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to develop new procedures to meet identified needs and/or to adjust to changes in procedures as requested.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Professional, file share systems, Contact Relationship Management application.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- CPA, CMA, or candidate for CPA / CMA (Craft3 sponsored eligible)
Frequently requires use of manual dexterity and repetitive motions, primarily with the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Periodic travel to company events and offices will be required.
Compensation and Benefits
Craft3 offers a competitive salary $95,000 – $143,000/annually plus benefits: medical, dental, vision, Life/AD&D, LTD/STD insurance, paid sick and vacation leave, volunteer time off, professional development, wellness program, transportation, remote flexible schedule within Oregon or Washington, and 403B Retirement savings plan with employer match. For more information about Craft3 and our Benefits visit our website at: www.craft3.org/about/careers
How to Apply
Apply online HERE
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Craft3 is an equal opportunity employer; women and minorities are encouraged to apply.