Company: Federal Home Loan Bank SF
Location: San Francisco, CA
Job Function: Advocacy/Policy
At FHLBank San Francisco, your work will benefit entire communities by powering the performance of our member financial institutions. We’re a member-owned cooperative wholesale bank and we play a vital role in the financial system —supplying our members with low-cost liquidity, expertise, and resources so they can execute their financial strategies and meet the housing finance and economic development needs of their customers and communities.
Our members, from small local lenders to large regional institutions, use our financial products and community development resources to foster homeownership, build more affordable housing, start and sustain small businesses, and advance economic development — changing individual lives for the better and making the future brighter for underserved neighborhoods and entire communities.
Perform reviews of affordable housing projects awarded funding through the Federal Home Loan Bank of San Francisco’s Affordable Housing Program (“AHP”) to determine eligibility and compliance within program guidelines and regulatory requirements. Consult with and provide expertise on community investment programs and affordable housing compliance issues to Bank management, members, prospective members, community partners, and the Federal Home Loan Bank System.
- AHP Project Support
- Analyze development and operating budgets of completed projects to confirm feasibility and need for AHP funds. Work with awardees to collect and review limited partnership agreements, loan documentation, cost certifications, and other documentation to assess risk of releasing funds and approve award disbursements. Review project compliance with regulatory requirements and Bank guidelines.
- Manage the timely receipt and accurate representation of information required for confirming project eligibility. Maximize process efficiency and work quality. Manage database information to ensure accurate and timely updates of project status. Assemble and annotate relevant documentation for review by management, internal audit, and federal regulators.
- Monitor project progress towards completion within program time limits and work with members and project owners to recycle unused funds.
- Manage timely completion of annual certifications for AHP projects still within the retention period.
- AHP Application Support
- Score, evaluate, determine eligibility, financial feasibility and need for subsidy of applications submitted in the annual funding application rounds. Recommend applications for approval.
- Technical Assistance and Outreach
- Provide technical assistance and outreach to members and community partners, including individual project guidance and conducting webinar trainings. Participate in and assist in planning Bank-sponsored webinars, workshops, conferences, or other events. Actively represent the Bank at meetings, public speaking engagements, and community-sponsored events.
- Assist in the production of various publications that the Bank is required to produce such as brochures related to training workshops, product profiles for AHP products, the Affordable Housing Advisory Council’s annual report, and the Bank’s newsletter on community investment.
- Special Projects
- Assist the Bank in achieving its mission-related goals, including research into potential community investment programs, scoring criteria, program design, and work related to fulfilling the Bank’s Community Lending Plan initiatives.
- Conduct research as needed. Present and recommend program ideas and research findings to senior management and/or the Bank’s Affordable Housing Advisory Council. Maintain the integrity of research data through careful, logical, and resourceful review and assembly of available information.
- Conduct project site visits, as necessary.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Community Development, or a related field, or equivalent education or professional experience required.
- Minimum two years’ experience in community investment, lending, affordable housing finance, affordable housing asset management, affordable housing property management, real-estate development, government grants analysis, or loan processing within a financial institution or affordable housing nonprofit preferred. Familiarity with affordable housing financing structures and loan documentation desired.
- Demonstrated project management skills including the ability to take initiative in a fast-paced work environment, work effectively under pressure, both independently or as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with all levels of an organization including external clients, internal management, and team members.
- Demonstrated knowledge of affordable housing development, regulations and policy: public and private financing sources available, the Low-income Housing Tax Credit Program, project-based rental assistance, other public grant programs.
- Preferred knowledge of Finance and financing structures; preferred familiarity with loan documentation; must be able to analyze sources of financing, operating and development budgets, statements of cash flow; preferred understanding of the basics of retention and recapture mechanisms (subordination arrangements, silent second notes, and lien positions).
- Attention to detail and ability to clearly and thoughtfully review and organize documentation required.
- Ability to operate PC-based software (Excel, Outlook, Word) and/or automated database systems required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong analytical and problem-solving skills required.
- Ability to analyze, apply, interpret, and communicate policies, procedures and regulations effectively.
- Understanding of how member banks use advances (i.e., loans) to support affordable housing preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
We know investing in our people is the key to our mutual success.
- Competitive compensation
- Training programs, management and leadership development, and tuition reimbursement
- Recognition and rewards programs, including awards for team excellence, individual projects, and employee referrals, that honor exceptional team member contributions
- A comprehensive, flexible benefits package
Our broad range of benefits includes:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage plans
- Life insurance
- A Bank-matched 401(k) plan
- A Cash Balance pension plan fully paid by the Bank
- Health and childcare reimbursement accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Education assistance
- Short- and long-term disability benefits
- Paid holidays, sick days, and vacation days
- Commuter benefits
- Backup childcare
- An Employee Wellness Program
How to Apply