Company: Dakota Resources
Location: Renner, SD
Job Function: Accounting
Hi, we’re Dakota Resources.
You might not have heard of us yet, but you will. We’re growing our impact fast.
We’re a nonprofit CDFI intermediary in our 27th year of connecting capital and capacity to empower rural leaders and communities. We’re based in South Dakota and work across the country. We manage 3 loan products, our primary product being a $30 million loan fund for CDFIs and local nonprofits serving community development in rural places. We also own a Community Development Entity that’s placed $400 million in new markets tax credits and will place another $60 million in 2023-2024. We offer three community development leadership programs and steward an annual operating budget of $3 million.
Together with 60+ partner rural community development organizations and more than 30 funders and investors, we’re a nonprofit building the future of rural.
Looking for something new this year? Want to work mostly from home? Does making a difference in rural communities matter to you?
Join the team at Dakota Resources!
Job Title: Full-Time Nonprofit Accountant
Location: Renner, South Dakota (occasional in-office requirement)
Salary: $75,000 – $85,000
We’re looking for an experienced nonprofit accountant to join our crew full-time. This position pays $70,000-85,000 depending on skills, experience, and fit with our mission.
- You’ll work closely with our finance team on accounting, compliance, and forecasting. We use Quickbooks and Excel, so it’s important you are comfortable with both.
- You’ll spend plenty of your time in the details of our reporting, reconciling, and compliance, and some time brainstorming, budgeting, and projecting the impact of our money moves for the future.
- You’ll get in the weeds with our grant and loan agreements, reviewing borrower financials, and reporting to our funders and investors.
- And you’ll flex your social skills by presenting the numbers to our Board and answering questions for our investors. You’ll also have the opportunity to do some teaching of basic nonprofit accounting if you want to.
- Maintain accurate financial records for the organization, including transactions, receipts, and disbursements
- Prepare financial reports, including profit and loss statements, balance sheets, and budget reports
- Reconcile accounts, including bank statements and credit card statements
- Assist with the preparation of annual budgets
- Support the organization’s fundraising efforts by providing financial information and reports to donors and grantors
- Ensure compliance with relevant laws, regulations, and accounting standards
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field
- At least 3 years of experience in accounting, preferably in a nonprofit organization
- CPA certification is preferred, but not required
- Proficiency with QuickBooks and Excel
- Strong attention to detail and excellent analytical skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
Compensation and Benefits
Salary range: $70,000-85,000 plus generous benefits and perks.
Flexible and powerful. Our small but mighty team makes things happen with lots of individual freedom, authority, and responsibility. We teach and support each other constantly, and rely on each other’s expertise daily. We’re proud of our uncommonly flexible work environment, very competitive pay, and generous perks and benefits. Benefits include paid medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance, 401(k) match, 4 weeks paid vacation, maternity and paternity leave, healthy living allowance, and remote expense stipend.
Work from home most of the time. We work remotely from across South Dakota, with an office in Renner for meetings and coworking anytime you want or need it. Don’t worry, we cover the expenses to set up your home office. You’ll need to be located somewhere within 2 hours of Sioux Falls and able to travel to Renner at least once per month. Additional travel occasionally (usually a couple of times a year) to places like Pierre, Aberdeen, or Rapid City is also required.
How to Apply
Ready to take the first step? If this sounds like something you’re interested in hearing more about, just complete our simple application here: dakotaresources.bamboohr.com/careers.